Koi & Friends' RP Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolves of the Skies

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wolves of the Skies Empty Wolves of the Skies

Post by WolfTrek Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Wolves

of the

Skies

- Introduction -

Deep in the heart of the wilderness, in a vast valley nestled within a wide-spreading mountain range, lives a pack of winged wolves - The Crystal Falls pack. These wolves, isolated from the outside world, have long lived in relative peace and tranquility. But recently, there have been a series of strange events... all pointing toward another upstart pack that shares the valley. These wolves, dubbed "the Dark-Hearts" by the Crystal Falls pack, are not bound by any code of honor - they are aggressive and don't follow the time-honored ways set by the original pack that still calls Crystal Valley home. They fight for power, and will kill to get it. Will the Crystal Falls wolves succumb to this threat, or will they take back what's rightfully theirs?

This is their story.  And it's your job to write it.

News

26th of November, 2019- Went ahead and put the map back up.  I'd left it down because I'd planned on making an actual, proper, good-looking map, but that hasn't happened yet, soooo... lmao shoddy one it is.  One day...  One glorious day...  Also, I removed mention of humans in the intro because I feel like humans don't exist in this universe.  Sorry humans~

17th of October, 2018- Oookay, hopefully this is the last tweak for a while.  I decided the wingspans were actually more accurate before, so I'm changing them back (and actually bumping the females' average up a foot).  *facepalms*  I also added average heights and lengths to the species info in the FAQs section.  In addition, I realized that it is, in fact, August, not September as I've had it for an eon now - not sure how I messed that up way back when lmao.  Pretty sure we were mentioning fallen leaves and stuff back on the old page, and August is, I would think, pretty early for it to be snowing already in the mountains, buuut maybe it's just going to be an early winter?  I dunno we'll figure it out later I'm just a perfectionist it doesn't really matter all that much *headdesk*

20th of September, 2018- Welp Spot's done it again and, once more, tweaked some stuff.  I decided that subordinate ranks (at least among the CFs - the Dark-Hearts rank themselves according to dominance and strength, more like actual wolves) should not be determined solely by age but instead by how experienced and trusted said wolf is.  Most senior subordinates will be over 7 years of age, but some more skilled wolves could be younger than 7 years and reach senior rank.  Also, newly-joined wolves, no matter their age, will rank as junior subordinates until they're trusted enough to earn a senior rank (unless, of course, that wolf is younger than a year or old enough to be an elder).  Also, I changed the average wingspans a bit because they seemed too large to fit properly alongside the wolves with how long they were, so y'all will probably want to tweak your charries' wingspans accordingly.  Averages for males are now 17-20 feet, and averages for females are 16-19 feet, but they can be longer or shorter than this if the size is more extreme.

10th of September, 2018- This post is being made exactly two years after the last one...  This amuses me.  Anyway, Spots is a dork and decided that the senior subordinates really should be even older than six cycles, so I'mma increase the starting age to seven cycles.   Eight would be even better, but that would bump both Aina and Kuren down to juniors, instead of just Aina, and then we'd only have four senior subs and that would just be silly (so much sillier than five yeah I know mhm), so seven it shall be.  At least for now.  We'll see about it in another two years lol.  Also I gave up on my formal voice (apparently) because why the heck not it's not like I have to be all proper anymore right lmao  Oh, I also fixed a spacing issue with the intro because I saw it and knew I would never be able to unsee it so yeah xD

10th of September, 2016- The plotting page has been completed and the first roleplay post has been made - I look forward to getting back into the swing of things!  Also, I have (once again - I apologize!) changed the initiate stage to 4-12 moons.  I have also decided to increase the senior subordinate starting age from 5 cycles to 6 cycles - I thought it more appropriate given how long the wolves live.

26th of August, 2016- The roleplay page has been remade, hopefully for a final, more permanent time!  Since several members, including Moonfire, Shadewind, Kaworubunga, and Frozenpool, have not made the transition over to these forums, their characters will be killed off in the upcoming battle.  Until then, they will remain as background characters.

Present

Conditions

Season: Late Summer (third week of August)
Moon Cycle: Waxing Crescent
Time of Day: Mid-Morning
Weather: Sunny, with a few scattered clouds; unseasonably cool but still fairly warm; light breeze; melting snow in the mountains
Forecast: Clear skies; weather beginning to turn cooler
Prey: Elk and bison herds are beginning to migrate further dawnward in the valley.
Upcoming Events: There is a pack meeting at Chanting Hill due at the full moon, a little over a quarter moon from now.

Other Notes:   • About three cycles ago, previous Chief Elan set an agreement with the Dark-Hearts, granting them the Lowlands and most of the Evergreens for their hunting grounds.  Both packs were to be allowed to use all four of the elemental training grounds.  This agreement still stands with Keinan as the new Chief; however, in recent moons, the Dark-Hearts seem to be keen on expanding their borders beyond their granted territory...

Info and FAQs

What is a winged wolf?
The winged wolves, also known as skywolves (scientific name: Canis alatum - literally, "winged dog"), of the valley look much like your typical gray wolf of North America; however, their legs are generally longer; they have more lean muscle, particularly around their chests and shoulders to power their wings; have a keel bone to support these muscles; and are usually slenderer and more graceful in appearance.  They are also a bit larger than an average wolf, but they weigh less than half of what a normal wolf of their size would, due to their hollow bones and slighter build.  Weight for males is generally between 60-80 pounds, while females weigh less, at around 50-70 pounds.  The height-to-length ratio is generally square or slightly taller than long; average height at the shoulder is typically between 3 feet, 4 inches and 3 feet, 10 inches, and average length from chest to rump is usually between 3 feet, 2 inches and 3 feet, 8 inches.  Tail length is generally between 2 feet, 8 inches and 3 feet, 4 inches.  Their wings are long, narrow, and graceful, with notched primary feathers, like most birds of prey.  Their shape is something of a cross between the broad, squared-off shape of a hawk or eagle wing, and the longer, more narrow and pointed shape of a falcon or gull, though they are quite a bit longer than they are wide - giving them a bit of an albatross look - to fit alongside the wolf better when folding.  The best comparison would be to the wings of an osprey.  All in all, they are efficient in providing plenty of lift while still allowing for quite a bit of speed and maneuverability.  When fully extended, each wing is normally a little more than twice the body length of the wolf from base to tip, and the secondary feathers come to rest at a point on the flank just before the hips start.  When folded, the secondary feathers typically extend about 6-8 inches past the rump, while the primary feathers are a bit more variable in length between individuals, but usually extend around 16-22 inches past the rump.  Wingspans for males typically range from 18-22 feet, while those of females are generally 17-21 feet.  The pelts and wings of the wolves come in all sorts of various colors, from blacks and browns to pure whites and anything in between.  Eye color is similar - most of nature's naturally-occurring eye colors are featured, including yellow, orange, amber-red, blue, green, hazel, and brown.
        Winged wolves have senses that correspond relatively to their wingless cousins.  Their hearing is quite sharp, and they are able to hear pitches both higher and lower than humans.  Their sense of smell is also very keen, and their taste fairly good, as well – they can detect all four main taste categories, but not with the same acuity as a human.  Their sight, however, is much more powerful than a wingless wolf's, more akin to an eagle's.  They can see vast distances with great sharpness, pick out very small movements, and see across the entire visible light spectrum, unlike wingless canids.  In addition, they also have a typical canid's tapetum lucidum, or the reflective eye layer that allows them to see in low levels of light.
        The wolves are reproductively mature by age three – generally they can breed in the season just before their third year, though some individuals take longer and reach maturity during the season after they turn three.  These wolves are more often those born later on in the season.  Females come into heat a few times over the span of about a month twice a year - once in early to mid-winter (through December to the start of January), and again in late spring/early summer (through May to the start of June).  However, a female wolf may only bear one litter per year.  The gestation period is about three months.  Pups are born in early to mid spring (through March to the start of April) and late summer/early fall (through August to the start of September).  Litter size is usually two to three pups, sometimes just one, though occasionally a mother will give birth to four pups; however, with this number, complications during birth are not unusual.  A litter consisting of five or more pups is very rare and almost always results in complications during pregnancy and/or birth.  Both parents are generally very active in caring for the pups, and the father will usually also help to care and provide for his mate, though this varies between individuals.  It is not unusual for extended family and close friends to also be strongly involved in the pups' rearing, especially if one or both parents die or are otherwise incapable or unwilling to care for their offspring.  In general, the pack as a whole contributes to the protection, raising, and training of pups.
        Puppies are born blind, deaf, and with a short, fuzzy coat of fur (very similar to their adult coats, unlike most canids) and wings covered only with a light, fluffy down, which is usually a similar color as their pelt.  They are completely dependent on their parents for survival.  They open their eyes and ears at around 14-16 days, though their hearing is poor and they can't see much more than blurred shapes until three to four weeks of age, and begin to crawl around more at about three weeks.  By four weeks, they begin to walk clumsily to the entrance of the den, and will venture outside under the careful watch of the parents and other pack members at around a week after that.  During this time, their ears rise up more, and their hearing improves significantly; the ears are fully erect but with floppy tips at around five weeks of age.  By six weeks, they begin eating solid food, which is at first fed to them in small bits torn from a larger piece of meat by their parents; later on, by about eight weeks, the pups start to feed themselves from small animal carcasses that are brought to them, such as hares or rodents.  At around the time they first begin consuming solid food, they are seen frequently playing and bounding around outside of their den during the day, but usually still stay in their den at night until about their third month, by which time they are fully weaned.  Their eyes begin to show their true colors at around 12-14 weeks.  Their down is replaced by the first true feathers at around the same time, which are a bit more colorful.  Their adult plumage, with their full, vibrant colors, will begin to grow in when the pup is nearing its sixth month.  Pups are not capable of any sort of flight beyond brief hovering until they've passed their fourth month and become initiates, but will start 'wingercising', or exercising the wings, once the first true feathers come in, to strengthen the wings and prepare for true flight practice.  Pups generally weigh around a pound and a half at birth, and continue to gain weight quickly.  By around eight weeks, they usually weigh in at around 12-15 pounds.  At four months old, the newly-made initiates weigh around 20-25 pounds on average, and will continue to gain weight throughout their first year.  Young wolves reach their full adult size by around 10-12 months of age, though they continue to develop and fill out throughout their second year.
        The winged wolves live for much longer than their wingless cousins.  Unless killed by some outside source or disease, average lifespan for the wolves is around 18-20 years; however, a few lucky wolves have lived to be around 25 years of age.

What are the ranks?
There are two packs that reside within Crystal Valley: the Crystal Falls Pack - the original pack - and the Dark-Hearts - a rival gang of aggressive wolves bent on taking over the valley.  These two packs have two drastically different ranking systems, which are described as follows:

~Crystal Falls Pack~

• Chief- Leader of the pack.  Oversees the performance of the Firstwolf and Secondwolf and makes decisions with their input.  Leads the pack in battle.  Will usually often join in on hunts or territory patrols.  Generally at least 5 cycles old.
  • Firstwolf- Second in command; in charge of hunts and  border patrols, as well as helping the Chief to organize battles, etc.  Generally at least 4 cycles old.
  • Secondwolf- Third in command; in charge of pup-sitting, initiate training, and choosing mentors.  Generally at least 4 cycles old.
  • Seers- Wolves born with the innate ability to speak to the ancestors and interpret signs in nature.  They also have medical training.  They are free to take a mate and have pups, though it is not unheard-of for wolves with this ability to also be barren.  Wolves with the "Seeing" ability do not have to become Seers, and, occasionally, a wolf not born with the ability can develop and hone it through practice.  Seers are full members of the pack and train in normal initiate skills as well as healing and spiritual communication, and they will join the other wolves in the hunt and assist in battle.  The oldest or otherwise most experienced Seer is known as the Elder Seer, and is generally in charge of training the Seer initiates, though all the full Seers will participate in teaching new Seers.
  • Senior Subordinates- The most experienced and trusted subordinates of the pack, generally over the age of 7 cycles.  Older individuals typically are dominant over younger ones, but this is not always the case.
  • Junior Subordinates- The bulk of the pack, over 1 cycle of age but generally younger than 7 cycles.  These are mostly less experienced wolves, or wolves who have only recently joined the pack.  Older individuals typically are dominant over younger ones, but this is not always the case.
  • Initiates- Upstart wolves between the age of 4 and 12 moons.  Pups 4-6 moons are mainly trained in areas such as flying, agility, and basic hunting techniques.  After that, fighting techniques, powers, and more advanced hunting is focused on.  Seer initiates are trained in the same way, in addition to being tutored in medicinal treatments and how to communicate with the Ancestors and perceive omens.  They are thus in training for longer than normal initiates, and are made full Seers at around 18 moons of age.  Initiates are not allowed in battle until they are at least 8 moons old.
  • Den-Mothers- Female wolves caring for or expecting pups.  Winged wolves do not become reproductively mature until they are at nearing 3 cycles of age.
  • Pups- Young wolves from birth to 4 moons of age.
  • Elders- Wolves 15 cycles or older, or otherwise incapable of the hunt.

~The Dark-Hearts~

• Leader- Encompasses the roles of Chief, Firstwolf, and Secondwolf.  This wolf holds supreme control over all the wolves under him or her.
  • High-Ranking Subordinates- The strongest and most dominant of the subordinates.  At least 12 moons of age.  These wolves constantly vie for seniority over their peers, and the most dominant high-rank typically enjoys the favor of the leader.
  • Mid-Ranking Subordinates- The bulk of the pack.  Not as dominant as the high-ranking subordinates, but more so than the low-ranking subordinates.  At least 12 moons of age.  Power struggles are frequent among these wolves, as well.
  • Low-Ranking Subordinates- The lowest-ranking and least dominant of the subordinates, these wolves are often cowed and used by the higher-ranking Dark-Hearts as a means to take out their aggression.  They are often less dominant than many of the initiates and pups.  At least 12 moons of age.
  • Initiates- Upstart wolves between the age of 4 and 12 moons.
  • Den-Mothers- Female wolves caring for or expecting pups.  Within the Dark-Hearts, mothers return to full duty as soon as their pups are weaned.  Winged wolves do not become reproductively mature until they are nearing 3 cycles of age.
  • Pups- Young wolves from birth to 4 moons of age.

Within the valley, further to the east in the neutral territory where neither pack typically roams, there also exist outsiders to both packs.  They live on their own, in pairs, or in small family groups.  These wolves have not allied themselves with either side and generally keep their distance; however, the Dark-Hearts have taken to harassing and even forcibly assimilating these wolves into their ranks - especially pups - and killing them if they refuse to cooperate, so life within Crystal Valley has become dangerous for them.

How does initiate training work?
The Secondwolf is the main teacher of the pack's offspring.  He or she typically chooses a small group of 'helpers', or mentors, depending on the number of pups, which are specifically chosen by the Secondwolf to ensure good chemistry between the mentors and initiates.  These mentors aid the Secondwolf in training the initiates.  There are usually just as many mentors as there are initiates, but occasionally there will be an extra mentor to help the Secondwolf supervise training, or one wolf will mentor two initiates.  Each initiate is assigned one main mentor to bond with, and this mentor is the one that works most frequently with that particular initiate, though all the mentors and initiates train together, as well.
        The first thing a young wolf must learn is how to fly.  Provided that they have been wingercising throughout their puphood and have sufficiently strengthened their muscles, the Secondwolf often begins by taking new initiates to a small hill or shallow cliff edge, having the youngsters practice gliding down from increasingly higher places.  Once a young initiate feels comfortable in the air and has learned some basic steering and balancing skills, power flight from these cliffs and hills will begin.  The initiates must learn how to keep themselves aloft in the air.  The last step is power flight from ground position - first, the young wolves are allowed to run to get up to speed before flapping off, but later on, they are urged to attempt to lift off from a standstill.
        Agility is another important skill learned early on in an initiate's training.  Racing, games of tag, play fights, and toss are all fun activities that can improve agility and stamina.  Young initiates between the ages of four and six months are taught basic hunting skills by the Secondwolf, using such things as deer legs to simulate kicks.  The young wolves must learn how to avoid the dangerous and potentially deadly hooves before they take on the real thing.  Next comes small game hunting - creatures such as squirrels, mice, and hares are either cornered or captured alive by the Secondwolf and/or the initiates' mentors and deposited before the youngsters so that they may learn how to chase, pounce, and deliver the killing blow.  It is only when the initiates reach their seventh month that they are allowed to participate in a real hunt for big game.
        Power training is one of the more difficult areas of training.  Young wolves generally practice their powers frequently throughout their time as an initiate.  Young initiates are first taken to all four of the elemental circles and told to focus on the energy present; these circles channel the energy of their element (i.e., the River Circle channels Water energy) and frequently help a wolf to discover which element his or her particular power controls.  Once an initiate's element is found, their mentor will frequently bring them back to their element's circle to help them discover and practice their individual power.

Wolves of the Skies Wing_feather_chart_by_wolf_trek_ddl5mc4-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNGY5ZmM4YjQtZWRlZC00MWYwLWEzMTgtYjdhMjIxYThlOTVjXC9kZGw1bWM0LTA0MzFkODE0LWY3Y2UtNDdiYS1iYzRmLTA0ZTA2MDYyMTJhNC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19

A wing/feather chart, for your convenience!

Map and

Locations of

Interest

Wolves of the Skies Wots_map_png_by_wolf_trek_ddl59b9-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNGY5ZmM4YjQtZWRlZC00MWYwLWEzMTgtYjdhMjIxYThlOTVjXC9kZGw1OWI5LTZlZTlmNzU3LTUwYzQtNGFhZS04Njc5LTc3NzEzOGY0MjkxMy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19

- Locations -

Avalanche Passage- A winding passage in the mountain range.  It's icy year round, with the exception of summer.  As the name suggests, avalanches are common in this area, and mudslides are a frequent occurrence in late spring and summer, due to ice melt.  This path is high in the mountains, and if the mud and snow doesn't kill you, the fall certainly will.  The wolves have always avoided this passage, which is one reason they hardly meet wolves outside the valley.  Avalanche Passage is, however, still the safest way to the opposite side of the mountain, because flying over would be nearly impossible due to constant strong and unpredictable winds, and climbing over is far longer and more dangerous.

The Drop-Off- A place high up in the mountains.  It's a steep cliff, a straight fall to your death.  Considering it's often hard to see up there, and there's absolutely no wind to aid in flight, it's taken many unsuspecting victims.  Some wolves say that it's a never-ending drop, due to the fact that the bottom is impossible to make out from the edge.

Snow Peak- Perhaps the highest point on the mountain the wolves can reach, but only by flying.  Climbing up would be reckless due to the slippery ice often found here, unless it's summer.

The Whispering Circle- Located on a large plateau below Snow Peak, lower down in the mountains, there is a circle of large stones.  It resembles Stonehenge, with some of the massive stones toppled over on top of each other, while others remain standing.  The constant wind which blows through here creates a whispering sound.  It is said that those who focus hard enough can hear music in the whispers.  This location is sacred to those with Air powers, and they often practice here.

Crystal Falls- A medium-sized waterfall, for which the Crystal Falls Pack is named after.  This waterfall takes its own name from the crystals found within the Cave of Dancing Colors, deep in the mountain face nearby.  It fuels the river which runs through the valley.  It often freezes over in harsh winters and floods in the spring, due to snow melt.  The water is crisp and clear, yet understandably cold.  A pool branching off near the base of the falls (the Crystal Pool) is good for swimming, and many practice Water elemental powers here.

The River Circle- Located in the shallows of a pool branching off from the river to the northwest of Crystal Lake, The River Circle is identical to the other circles, except the stones are about a foot underwater, making them slippery.  They also have moss growing on them.  It's believed that if one focuses enough, the spirits of the ancestors can be seen in the water.  This place is sacred to those with Water powers, and they often train here.

The Cave of Dancing Colors- High up the mountain face, close to Crystal Falls, this is where the Seers go every half-moon to speak to the Spirits.  It's a medium-sized cave, about 5 wingspans in diameter, deep inside the face of the mountain.  A small hole in the roof allows the moonlight to filter in and reflect and refract off of a cluster of multi-colored crystals near the center of the cave, which causes colorful patterns to dance on the cave's smooth walls.  The presence of the Spirits is strong here, and there is a constant whispering of many voices.  Only the Seers truly know how to interpret the color patterns and make out what the Spirits are saying... though some wolves of strong faith can hear some of the Spirits' messages, if they listen hard enough.  All initiates are required to visit the Cave once, sometime before they reach their 12th moon of age.

Chanting Hill- A low plateau that lies in the mountains, you can get here by walking up a wide, gently-inclined, winding path through the mountain range.  The wolves go to this small field at the full moon to howl their praises to the Spirits and celebrate the successes of the past moon with song and play.  A joyful place, surrounded on all sides by high mountain peaks, with pine trees, sweet-smelling wildflowers, and boulders to climb, play, and rest on.

The Evergreens- A wide stretch of pines at the base of the mountains.  Berry bushes are plentiful here, which provide a tasty treat, along with several types of useful herbs.

The Forest Circle- In a large clearing in The Evergreen Forest, there is a circle of stones, similar to those found on Snow Peak.  Moss is abundant among these rocks, and various plants have woven themselves amongst them.  It's said that, when one focuses enough, he or she can hear the beat of the Earth here.  This location is sacred to those with Earth powers, and they often practice here.

The Plains- Located at the base of the mountains, stretching between Sun Canyon and the Evergreens.  This vast plateau is a good place for hunting, as it is nearly treeless.  Elk and bison herds frequent this area.

Sun Canyon- A long canyon that cuts a winding path through the Plains.  It gets surprisingly hot, especially in the summer.  There is a narrow, fast-running creek running through it, with frequent sections of rapids, which makes cooling off possible, just dangerous.  Sun Canyon has many dangers, such as crags, ledges, and poisonous snakes.  Loose rock can prove deadly if one takes a wrong step on the edge of the Canyon.

The Sun Circle- Located in Sun Canyon, The Sun Circle is identical to the other circles, except the stones here are more reflective.  When the sun shines on them, it makes them hot to the touch and creates stunning patterns in the reflections.  It is said that if one focuses enough, he or she can see visions in the reflections.  This location is sacred to those with Fire powers.

The Lowlands- In the northeast corner of the valley, on the opposite side from where the pack typically roams, this is a wide, flat expanse of dry, sandy terrain.  It slopes down lower than any other part of the valley, and there is little foliage, except for short grasses and a few sparse trees.  There is also little water here, except for a tiny, trickling stream which ends halfway across the dry expanse, and the weather here tends to be more extreme.  In summer, it's hot and dry, and the sandy areas will burn your paws.  In winter, the snow and frost causes the ground to become frozen and extremely hard.  And, in spring, the snow runoff causes patches of quicksand.  A small herd of pronghorns lives here... but hunting can be treacherous for both predator AND prey.

Aspen Grove - In the southeast corner of the valley lies a grove of aspen trees.  This is a beautiful place, with many wildflowers and a few species of herbs.  White-bark pine trees also grow sparsely here.  These pines provide nutritious seeds for many animals, including the wolves.  When prey is not available, or a special treat is desired, these pine nuts are a delicious option.

Crystal Lake- In the south of the valley lies a large, deep, cool and clear lake.  This is a great spot for swimming and fishing.  Most of the otters in the valley live here year-round.

The Marshland- In the southern area of the valley, bordering Crystal Lake on its east bank, lies a stretch of swampy ground, where papyrus, marsh grasses, cattails, and mangrove trees are plentiful, as well as several species of useful herbs.  Otters and beavers can often be found near here, as well as in and around Crystal Lake.

Salmon Caves- Carved into the southern mountain range, directly south from the lake, is a series of caverns connected by narrow, winding passageways, collectively known as the Salmon Caves.  The stream the salmon swim up to reach the lake each year flows into these caves, tumbling down in a short waterfall (about a wingspan high) into the wide entrance before flowing through a small passage at the back, with a narrow path running along the right side.  It is a relatively unexplored area, and surrounded by myth.

Relations

- List of Mates and Relationships -

< : First character likes second character
> : Second character likes first character
<> : Both characters like each other
= : Characters are mates
≠ : Characters were mates but broke apart due to death, incompatibility, etc.
!≠! : Characters were never official mates but did mate together
Name : Character is deceased
?Name? : Character's condition is unknown

MakirMakawee [Children: Oḍeya]
ElanMakawee [Children: Keinan, Chayton]
Nikan = ?Kodra? [Children: Peyhote, Keala]
Vasher ≠ Kalika [Children: Kalake]
Tholos = Koilada [Children: Ryyn, Esirinn]
Nodin = Hialeah [Children: Laiko, Elskan]
Wapi = Waneta [Children: Kyynel]
Hae = Makala [Children: Akamai, Eleu]
Korin = Ezera [Children: Yuma, Nascha; Nevinost, Iniki, Kiona]
Leiter = Marikit [Children: Allegro, Maligaya]
Keinan ≠ Fala [Children: Unborn litter of two]
Omawnakw = Kolenya [Children: Mikko, Payatt, Litonya]
Chayton ≠ Keala [Children: Acara, Wanook]
Ehu = Awa [Children: Haul]
Vasher = Oḍeya [Children: Jhēra]
Dotan <> Nerys [Children: Ali, Uru, Pohl]
Koloha ≠ Mikira [Children: Chirin]
Akamai = Kalake [Children: Ari, Aska, Kahili; Chirin (adopted)]
Allegro = Nevinost [Children: Currently expecting]

Laiko <> Sihti
Elskan <> Muri
Esirinn < Kyynel
Ryyn <> Kyynel
Allegro !≠! Oḍeya [Children: Currently expecting]

- Mentors and Initiates -

Name : Character is deceased
?Name? : Character's condition is unknown

Chaska has mentored Makawee, Enola
Haloka has mentored Eyota
Elan has mentored Fala
Nikan has mentored Chayton
Malaho has mentored Keinan, Laya
Eyota has mentored Kurēn, Noelani
Enola has mentored Keala
Muren has mentored Laiko, Elskan, Nakhoda
Keinan has mentored Nevyn, Gayatahi
Chayton has mentored Maligaya
Taa'a has mentored Krios
Fiore has mentored Fo

Laya has mentored Sogno
Racin has mentored Haul
Coquille has mentored Payatt
Hotaka has mentored Wanook
Maligaya has mentored Acara

Last edited by WolfTrek on Thu May 14, 2020 9:19 am; edited 32 times in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Prey : 1057

http://trekwolf4194.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Wolves of the Skies Empty Re: Wolves of the Skies

Post by WolfTrek Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 pm

Glossary

- Animal Species -

American Black Bear- A medium-sized bear, typically black with a brown muzzle.  They will eat just about anything, but typically consume primarily vegetation.  They are smaller than grizzlies but still dangerous, especially to younger wolves.

American Crow- A medium-sized, pure black bird.  They will eat just about anything, from berries to mice.  Though they prefer fresh meat, they have no qualms about eating carrion.  They often guide the wolves to prey by circling above injured animals or freshly-deceased game.  They are also incredibly intelligent and have complex social structures.

American Robin- A medium-sized songbird, mostly a dark blackish brown with white markings around the eyes, a white throat with black streaks, a white belly and undertail coverts, and a reddish-orange breast.  They eat insects, berries, and other fruit.

Bald Eagle- A large, predatory bird, the adults are dark brown with a white head and tail feathers, while the juveniles, under 5 cycles of age, are a more solid dark brown.  They mainly hunt for fish, but will also scavenge off of freshly-killed carcasses.  The pack views them with admiration, and they share a mutual respect with the wolves.

Barn Owl- A medium-sized, pale, nocturnal owl, generally of mottled light brown and gray colors with white unders and face and darker, heavily speckled wings which are mostly white on the undersides.  They are easily identified by their dark eyes set in a distinctive heart-shaped facial disk.  They eat mostly small mammals, but also occasionally bats, birds, lizards, amphibians, and insects.

Barn Swallow- A small bird with very long, pointed wings and a long, forked tail.  They are dark, iridescent blue on the uppers, wings, tail, and collar, with a rusty-colored face and a lighter rust breast and belly, and have a line of white spots on the outside of the upper tail.  The females are similar to the males but are paler and less glossy, and have shorter tail streamers.  They feed on insects, mostly while flying, and can often be seen swooping over the water.

Beaver- A large, tawny-colored, bark-eating rodent with long front teeth and a flat, muscular tail.  Most of them build their dams in the lake, though a few choose to live further upstream, which has created some widening in certain parts of the river.  They are sometimes hunted by the wolves during times of scarce prey.

Bison- Massive, thick-skulled animals, they are plentiful in the Plains.  The wolves often prey upon them, but they are strong, dangerous game and require strategy to bring down.  During mating season, the rutting bulls charge each other and hit heads.  The dull crack can be heard echoing for miles around.

Black-Billed Magpie- A fairly large, long-tailed bird of the crow family, black with a white belly, shoulder patches, and markings on the primaries and iridescent blue and green on the black of the wings and tail.  They will scavenge kills from larger predators such as wolves, bears, cougars, or coyotes, but will also consume insects, worms, small rodents, seeds, berries, nuts, and eggs.  Highly intelligent, they are known to create caches of food in the ground and return for them later.

Blue Jay- A medium-sized songbird, they are primarily a blue-gray with bright blue wings and tail, gray-white undersides and face, a black 'collar' marking, and black markings in front of the eyes.  They are opportunistic eaters, consuming primarily berries, nuts, and insects, and are quite intelligent, as well as bold and aggressive, often driving other birds away from food sources.

Brambling- A small bird of the finch family.  The males have a black head and spots on the flanks and back, dark uppers and tail, orange breast, white belly and rump, and dark wings with orange scapulars, covert bars, and remex fringes.  They are mainly seed-eating, favoring beechnuts, but their young are fed largely on insects.  They migrate north in fall and return in summer.

Bullock's Oriole- A medium-small songbird, the males are primarily a bright orange, with black wings with a white patch, a black tail and 'bib', and black around the eyes extending in a streak to the black crown.  Females are lighter and duller, with gray-brown uppers, pale undersides, pale yellow on the throat and face and under the tail, and an olive crown.  They feed mainly on insects, berries, and nectar.

Canadian Lynx- A smallish, grayish brown, spotted cat with long tufts of ear fur and a great, furry ruff around their face.  They aren't generally seen as a threat and are usually left alone.

Chaffinch- A small songbird in the finch family.  The brightly colored male has a blue-gray cap and tail, rusty unders and face, brown back and scapulars, olive rump, and white undertail, with mottled black and white wings with pale remex outer fringes - yellow on the secondaries and inner primaries and white on the outer primaries.  The female is much duller, brown on the head and back with a lighter breast and unders.  They eat mainly seeds and other plant material from the ground, though during the breeding season their diet switches to invertebrates.  They migrate north in the fall and return in spring.

Collared Dove- A medium-sized, stout-bodied, seed-eating bird.  They are a buff color with darker tails and flight feathers and a black collar marking on the back of the neck.

Common Badger- A stout, short-legged, short-tailed animal, ticked gray in color with black legs and a black-and-white-striped face.  They are omnivorous and consume primarily worms, insects, carrion, fruits, and small mammals, and also occasionally birds, amphibians, reptiles, fungi, and greens.  They have very long claws for digging, live in small social groups, and can be aggressive when provoked, but aren't much of a threat to a fully-grown wolf.

Common Hedgehog- A small brown animal with short legs and tail and thick, prickly spines.  They are omnivorous and feed mainly on invertebrates, as well as some fruits and mushrooms.

Common Pheasant- A large, ground-dwelling bird, they can range in color from nearly white to almost black, but the males are typically colored with barred reds, golds, and browns, with some cream and black markings, and iridescent green on the head, while females are mottled shades of brown and cream.  They eat a wide variety of seeds, berries, leaves, and insects, and provide a decent meal for a wolf when caught.  They are good practice for young initiates.

Common Porcupine- A medium-sized, stocky, short-legged and short-tailed animal, mostly brown or black with white highlights on their long, dangerous quills.  They spend a good deal of time in trees and eat twigs, bark, roots, berries, and other vegetation.  They are sometimes hunted by larger predators, including wolves, but should be avoided if possible and confronted with extreme caution, as getting stuck by their quills is extremely painful and can even prove deadly.

Common Raven- A medium-sized, black bird that both scavenges and hunts.  They are very similar to crows, but larger and have a deeper 'rock' call, unlike a crow's distinctive 'caw'.  Like crows, they often lead the wolves to weak or recently deceased prey, and are incredibly intelligent and social.

Common Starling- Medium-sized, stout-bodied songbirds with black-brown iridescent plumage that can shine green or purple depending on the light.  Each feather is tipped with white on the body and face and brown on the wings, head, and shoulders, giving them a speckled appearance.  They are extremely gregarious, and often form large, very noisy flocks, able to mimic just about any sound they hear.  However, their aerial displays are a miraculous sight to behold.  They are mostly insectivorous, but are opportunistic and will also eat fruits, grains and seeds, nectar, worms, snails, amphibians and lizards, and even small fish, if the opportunity arises.

Cottontail Rabbit- A smallish creature with brown fur and long ears.  They are very quick, and don't have much meat on them for a wolf, but are commonly caught for pups, as well as to teach initiates how to hunt.

Cougar- A large, tawny-colored cat.  One of the main competitors for prey. They are seen as a threat, particularly to pups and younger initiates, though usually prefer to keep to themselves.

Coyote- A smaller cousin of the wolf.  Some wolves see them as pests, especially outsiders - competitors for prey and a possible danger to pups.  However, many individuals are very respectful, even fearful, of the wolves, and much prefer to keep their distance.  Some individuals can prove to be a threat to young pups.

Elk- A plentiful relative of the deer, often found in the Plains.  They move west in the valley in spring to calve and head east again in the fall. Frequently hunted by the wolves.

Fieldfare- A bird in the thrush family, characterized by a slate-gray head, nape and rump, dark brown back, blackish tail, pale unders, and boldly speckled, orange-tinged breast.  The upperwing coverts and secondaries are chestnut brown, with brownish primaries and conspicuous white underwing coverts.  The sexes are similar in appearance, but the females are slightly more brown.  These birds are omnivorous and eat a wide variety of mollusks, insects, worms, berries, grain, and seeds.  They are gregarious and roost in the open, and migrate in the fall, returning to Crystal Valley in spring.

Golden Eagle- Large, golden-brown bird of prey, slightly smaller than the bald eagle.  Though they typically prey on smaller creatures such as mice, squirrels, and hares, they have enough power to take on small deer or even, very rarely, coyotes.  They are admired by the pack, and treat the wolves with respect in return.

Great Blue Heron- A large wading bird, mostly bluish gray in color with darker remiges, a brown-tinged neck streaked with black and white down the front, red-brown thighs, and a paired reddish and black stripe up the flanks.  The face is nearly white, with a pair of black or slate plumes above the eyes to the back of the head.  They eat mostly fish, but also shrimp, crabs, aquatic insects, small mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and birds.

Great Gray Owl- A very large owl, gray with pale bars on top and light with dark streaks underneath, with a pronounced facial disk, yellow eyes, and a small white collar just below the beak.  They almost entirely eat small mammals, but alternatively eat others, such as hares, weasels, small songbirds, quail, grouse, small hawks, and ducks.

Grizzly Bear- Large, brown bear with very long claws.  Very dangerous, especially to pups and younger initiates.

House Finch- A small, mottled brown, seed-eating bird with a large, thick beak.  Males have a bright red head and chest.

House Sparrow- A small, seed-eating bird.  Females are primarily mottled brown above and gray-buff below, while males are more boldly colored, with a reddish back, grayish underparts, and bold facial markings which include a gray crown, chestnut red flanking the crown on either side of the head, and black around the beak, under the eyes, and on the throat.

Kestrel- A small falcon, they have primarily chestnut brown plumage with black spots on the upperside and black remiges, and a cream-brown chest with brownish streaks.  Females have more black spots than the males, which additionally have a blue-gray head and tail.  They hunt primarily in grassy areas by either hovering or searching from a perch, and then swooping swiftly down upon their prey.  They consume mainly small rodents, but also occasionally lizards, small birds, and even invertebrates.

Least Weasel- A small weasel, mostly brown in color with white unders in summer; their coat turns entirely white in winter.  They eat primarily small rodents but will also prey on rabbits, birds, eggs, fish, and frogs.  They are highly aggressive and bold, but only attack a wolf if cornered.

Mallard- A medium-sized waterbird.  The females are mottled brown, while the males are grayish with a brown breast, gray-brown wings, a black rear with white-bordered dark tail feathers, a black-rimmed iridescent blue patch on the secondaries, and a iridescent green head.  They eat invertebrates, gastropods, crustaceans, worms, and plant matter such as seeds, roots, and tubers.

Margay- A smallish, brown-furred cat with rows of dark blackish rosettes.  They are remarkably agile, with extremely flexible ankles, and are excellent tree-climbers.  They mostly prey on birds, eggs, small mammals, and reptiles.  Though they are not native to Crystal Valley, they are relatively common in other, more lowland valleys, most notably Quartz Beach.

Meadow Vole- A small brown rodent, similar to a mouse, that feeds primarily on grasses and seeds.  They are commonly hunted by foxes, snakes, birds of prey, and cats.  They live throughout the entire territory, but are most commonly found in meadows and on the Plains.

Mockingbird- Medium-sized dusty brown-gray birds with long legs and tails and orange eyes.  Their white wing markings make them easy to identify in flight.  They are well-known for their ability to almost perfectly copy the songs of other birds.

Moose- A very large relative of the deer with great, broad antlers and hanging dewlaps of skin on their throats.  Dangerous game, but provide plenty of sweet-tasting meat.

Mountain Quail- A smallish, ground-dwelling bird with a gray breast, brown face, wing primaries, and belly, and heavily barred white unders.  They eat primarily seeds, along with the occasional insect.  Initiates sometimes hunt them, but they shouldn't be underestimated even though they live on the ground - they are secretive, and can move surprisingly quickly through dense undergrowth.

Mourning Dove- A medium-sized, stout-bodied, seed-eating bird, primarily a muted gray-brown in color, with a small black patch below the jaw and black spots on the wings.  The wings make a distinct whistling sound upon take-off and landing.

North American Opossum- A medium-sized, ticked gray animal with a pale face and darker legs, that looks a bit like a large rat.  They are harmless, but will hiss or screech when threatened, exposing many small, pointed teeth, and are notorious for their death faint, even emitting a foul-smelling liquid to repel predators.  They are nocturnal and are omnivorous, eating a wide range of fruits, grains, invertebrates, carrion, snakes, and small mammals.

Northern Flicker- A medium-sized woodpecker, beige with black bars on the back and wings, with a black patch on the upper breast and black spots on the lower breast and belly and a white rump.  The tail is dark on top and red or orange below with black tips, there is a red patch at the back of the head, and the underwings are bright red or orange, as well.  Males have a black or red stripe at the base of the beak.  They generally eat insects, especially ants, but also consume fruits, seeds, and nuts.  They are one of the few birds to eat ants, which make up about half of their diet.

Osprey- A medium-sized, fish-eating bird of prey, glossy brown on the uppers with white unders, sometimes brown streaked on the breast.  The head is white with a dark mask across the golden eyes and the sides of the neck.   The wings are mottled brown with lighter, barred unders and largely-white marginal and median underwing coverts.  They are commonly found around Crystal Lake.

Pronghorn- A medium-sized antelope, these creatures are good to eat but extremely swift.  There are two small herds in the valley - one lives in the Plains, while the other resides on the other side of the valley, in the harsh Lowlands.  The animals in the Lowlands are tougher, stronger, and more resilient than those in the Plains, making them more difficult to catch.

Raccoon- A medium-sized, gray-ticked animal with a black mask and a ringed tail.  They will eat almost anything, including invertebrates, plant matter, bird eggs, and vertebrates such as fish, amphibians, and very occasionally birds and mammals.  They are primarily nocturnal, and quite intelligent and bold, even occasionally playing tricks on unwary wolves.

Red Fox- Smallish, wolf-like creatures with bright red fur and long, fluffy tails, they typically hunt mice in fields and snow.  Some can be pesky, while others ignore the wolves and typically stay out of trouble.

Red Squirrel- A small rodent that lives in trees.  Typically ignored by the wolves unless being fed to pups or hunted for practice by initiates, as they provide barely a mouthful of meat, but they are frequently hunted by eagles, hawks, and lynx, and can sometimes tide a starving wolf over until bigger game can be found.

Red-Tailed Hawk- A large hawk with mottled brown and cream plumage, they are characterized by the adults' reddish tails.  They are opportunistic hunters and will prey on small mammals, songbirds, and reptiles.  They share a mutual respect with the pack wolves.

River Otter- Medium-sized, long-bodied, dark brown creatures.  They are playful, rambunctious, and quite intelligent.  They are friends of the wolves and it is against wolf morals to prey upon them.  The Dark-Hearts, however, do not follow this moral code, and in recent cycles the otters have become wary of all wolves that they do not know well.

Rock Pigeon- A medium-sized, stout-bodied, seed-eating bird.  They are gray with two black bars on each wing, a darker tail and head, and multicolored iridescence on the neck.

Short-Eared Owl- A medium-sized mottled brown owl with small ear-tufts, a pale, streaky facial disk and unders, and black rings around the yellow eyes.  Their diet consists of mainly voles, but also other small rodents, bats, smaller birds, and insects.  They hunt mainly at night, but occasionally also during the day or at dawn or dusk.

Snowshoe Hare- A small, fleet-footed animal with long ears and a short tail.  In summer, the pelt is a tan-brown; in winter, it's almost pure white, with slight bits of black on the ears.  They are often hunted by eagles, coyotes, and lynx, but larger animals, including the wolves, will consume them as well.

Sockeye Salmon- A medium-sized fish that swims down the rapids from the distant ocean to spawn in the rivers of the valley.  When not breeding, they are primarily a silvery color, but turn a bright pinkish red with a green head and tail when returning to their spawning grounds.  They're good to eat for those skilled enough to catch them, but are also the grizzly bears' favored prey, so riverside hunting spots are highly-prized and dangerous conflicts often arise.

Steller's Jay- Medium-sized songbirds with a blue-gray body, black head, and bright blue wings and tail.  They have a pronounced feather crest, blue streaks on the forehead, and a white marking above each eye.  They are omnivorous, eating just about anything, from nuts and seeds to insects and small rodents, and even nestlings of other small birds.

Striped Skunk- A medium-sized, stout-bodied, short-limbed animal with a long, furry tail, they are black with varied white markings on the back, tail, and forehead.   They are primarily insectivores, but will also eat fruits, small mammals, fish, and the eggs and chicks of ground-nesting birds.  These should be avoided at all costs, as they spray a blinding, foul-smelling liquid at predators that is near-impossible to get off.

Swainson's Hawk- A medium-sized hawk with mottled dark browns, rusts, and cream undersides, and also commonly a white 'bib'.  Though they prefer to eat insects such as dragonflies and grasshoppers, they are opportunistic hunters and also prey on small mammals, small birds, and reptiles.  They have a mutual respect with the pack.

Swainson's Thrush- A medium-sized songbird, brown on the upperparts, with white underparts and brown on the flanks, and a light brown breast and face with darker spots.  They mainly eat insects, berries, and other fruit.

Turkey Vulture- A large, gregarious scavenging bird of prey, mostly a blackish brown with lighter grayish remex undersides and a bald red head.  They can often be seen circling overhead searching for carcasses.

Varied Thrush- A medium-sized songbird, the males are black with a bright orange breast and throat, an orange streak from above the eye down the neck, orange bars on the wings, and a black collar marking, while females are less vibrant, with mottled browns and grays instead of black.  They eat primarily insects.

White-Tailed Deer- A medium-sized deer which the wolves frequently prey upon.

Wild Turkey- A large, ground-dwelling bird of a blackish or gray-brown color with a coppery sheen.  Adult males have a bald red head and throat, as well as a dark, fanned tail, glossy bronze wings, and areas of multicolored iridescence.  They eat nuts, seeds, berries, roots, insects, grasses, and, occasionally, amphibians and small reptiles.  They, along with their eggs, are frequently preyed upon by many predators, including wolves.

Wolverine- A medium-sized, stocky and muscular creature, similar to a badger, they are buff to rusty brown in color with blackish legs, mask, and tail and darker patches on the back and neck.  They are primarily scavengers that feed off carrion, but they will also hunt just about any animal they can get ahold of, including porcupines, lynx, coyotes, deer, and even adult elk and moose, if they are weakened or bogged down by snow.  They are highly aggressive and very strong for their size, and can threaten even adult wolves; they pose a heavy danger to pups.

Wood Mouse- A small, common rodent found in sparse forests and fields.  They are mostly nocturnal and build extensive ground burrows, and eat seeds, fruits, roots, and invertebrates.

Last edited by WolfTrek on Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 am; edited 5 times in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Glossary

- Plants & Herbs -

Alder- Tall tree with simple, serrated leaves.  The bark is dark and often covered in moss, and the twigs are spotted and sticky to the touch.  The bark can be eaten or licked to cure a toothache.  Can be found in boggy areas near the river.

Aloe Vera- A low-lying, thick-leaved desert plant.  The gel-like juices found in the leaves are good for soothing burns and scrapes, as well as moisturizing dry and cracked paw pads.  This plant is found only in the Lowlands.

Aspen- A fairly small tree with white bark and round-ish, green leaves that turn gold in fall, they are scattered sparsely across the valley.  However, there is a large cluster of them in the southeast corner of the valley - a place known as Aspen Grove.

Beech- Large, smooth-wooded, grayish-colored tree with oval leaves.  Leaves are often used to carry medicine supplies, and can be used to mix poultices.  Oil from the nuts can be applied directly to wounds to fight and prevent infection.  Found throughout the sparser woodland, particularly higher up in the mountains, in the chalkier soil found there; a few are scattered throughout the Lowlands.

Bindweed- A vine-like plant with white, trumpet-like flowers and distinctive arrow-shaped green leaves.  Vines can be used to tie things, most importantly sticks to broken legs to set the break.  Can be found almost anywhere, like ivy.

Blackberry- A sweet, dark-colored berry which grows on a medium-sized bush.  They're good to eat, and many animals, including the wolves, will consume them when other food is unavailable, or just as a tasty treat.  Blackberry bushes are found primarily in the Evergreens, though there are also a few bushes in Aspen Grove and scattered along the riverside.  There are also several bushes on Chanting Hill.

Borage- Distinguished by it's hairy leaves and small, star-shaped flowers, which can be either bright blue or purplish in color, consuming the leaves and roots of this plant helps to bring down fever.  Its seeds and leaves are also good for increasing the milk supply of den-mothers.  It is found most commonly in the Evergreens and Aspen Grove.

Broom- A shrub with small leaves and tiny yellow flowers that grow upwards in a tall cone.  It is used to make poultices for broken bones.  It can be found in meadows or grassy areas, as well as on the Plains and Chanting Hill.

Burdock- In the thistle family, this plant has tall stems and dark leaves.  It has a strong, easily-distinguished smell and large, fat roots.  The roots can be chewed up and applied to wounds to keep infection away, and the leaves can be chewed and applied to wounds clear of infection to speed up the healing process.  It can be found in Aspen Grove and near the edge of the Evergreens, bordering the Plains.

Burnet- A small bush that has multiple oval-shaped leaves on each stalk.  In leaf-fall and late greenleaf, large clusters of small flower buds grow on the top of the plant.  It is eaten as a travelling herb to keep a wolf’s strength up.  It can be found in meadows, grassy areas, on Chanting Hill, and on the Plains.

Catchweed- A very small weed with fuzzy green orbs that grow tiny white flowers on long stems.  Burrs are often used to keep poultices in place without irritating the wound or skin.  Can be located in meadows, on the Plains, on Chanting Hill, or in other areas with low-growing vegetation.

Celandine- An uncommon yellow flower with prickly, fuzzy stems and four-petaled flowers with long pollen-stems.  Nectar is trickled into damaged eyes.  Can be found in meadows or sunny clearings in the forest, and on Chanting Hill.

Chamomile- A mild-smelling plant that looks very similar to daisy.  It can be applied in a poultice to treat inflammation, rashes, and dry, itchy skin and consumed to treat allergies, muscle spasms, and stomach pain, as well as administered to help with anxiety and sleep.  Should not be given to pregnant or nursing mothers.  Can be located in meadows, on the Plains, on Chanting Hill, or in other areas with low-growing vegetation.

Chervil- A  large, leafy, sweet-smelling plant with fern-like leaves and small white flowers.  Its roots are dark brown, gnarled, and knobby.  Leaves are chewed and spit on infected wounds.  They can also be eaten to soothe bellyache, and are helpful with the nausea that sometimes occurs when whelping, as they are safe to give to den-mothers.  Can be found along rocky cliffs or outcroppings.

Coltsfoot- This is a small, flowering plant, which looks somewhat like a dandelion.  It can have yellow or white flowers.  Its leaves can be eaten to help reduce shortness of breath.  It is found most commonly in the Lowlands, but can also be located in the dry, loamy soil of the mountains.

Comfrey- This plant has large, long leaves and clusters of pink, white, or purple bell-shaped flowers.  The roots can be chewed into a paste and applied to wounds to help soothe them, as well as spread over a broken bone to help it in healing.  This plant is found in the Marshlands.

Coneflower- A purple flower with petals found in a high cone.  It is very sweet-smelling and tasting.  The roots and leaves are eaten to give strength and resistance to illness.  It can be found near young pine trees.

Daisy- A small plant with circular, iconic white flowers with many petals and a yellow center.  The dark oval leaves are chewed into a paste to apply to aching joints.  Can also be eaten to prevent joint pain when traveling.  Can be found nearly anywhere.

Dandelion- A common yellow flower with long, weak, hollow stems.  About a half-moon after the weed blooms, the yellow flower turns into a white sphere of minuscule smaller flowers that blow away in the wind.  Liquid within the hollow stems is applied to bee stings and the leaves can also be eaten to treat pain, if one can handle the bitter taste.  Extremely common and can be found everywhere.

Deadly Nightshade- A deadly toxic bushy plant, it can grow several feet high when not exposed to a lot of sun.  The oval-shaped, bitter-smelling and tasting leaves are dull, darkish green in color and of unequal size.  Soft, downy hairs may occur on young stems and leaves.  The veins of the leaves are prominent on the underside.  Large, shiny black berries - the most toxic part of the plant - grow at the base of the short leaf stems in leaf-fall.  It is found under the shade of trees, on wooded hills and at the base of mountains.

Dock- A common, large-leafed plant with a tangy, almost sour, smell and taste.  The leaves can be applied in a poultice to reduce swelling, help skin issues, and heal broken or injured pads, but it stings quite badly when applied.  It can help sooth the pains of recent wounds when placed in nests.  It doesn’t grow in the mountains, but can be found in the flatter areas of the forest.

Fennel- A plant with very tiny yellow flower clumps on thin stalks and thin, spiky leaves.  The juice can be consumed for treatment of chronic coughs.  Eating it suppresses hunger and can help pain in the hips.  It can be easily found along the river.

Feverfew- A smallish bush with daisy-like flowers, the leaves of this herb can be eaten to reduce fever or chills, and can also boost the immune system.  Don't give to pregnant mothers - however, in emergencies it can be used during labor to stimulate contractions.  This is located most often in sparsely-forested areas and on the Plains, but also on Chanting Hill.

Goldenrod- A tall plant with clumps of tiny, bright yellow flowers and narrow, pointy leaves.  Considered the best herb for speeding up the healing of wounds and treating them in general when applied in a poultice.  Rarely found, most often on the mountainsides.

Holly- A large plant with deep green, spiky-edged leaves and clusters of bright red berries.  The berries are toxic to wolves, but are an important food source for birds.  It grows in shady areas, generally near trees.

Juniper- This is a large, evergreen bush with dark-colored, needle-like leaves.  The dark, purple-colored berries can be eaten to soothe bellyaches, and, when consumed, the leaves can help to ease breathing and reduce coughs, as well as strengthen the immune system.  It shouldn't be eaten by pregnant or nursing mothers, but in emergencies can be used during labor to stimulate delivery of pups.  Bushes of this plant are found in the Evergreens and Aspen Grove, close to the dry, rocky soil of the mountains, as well as growing sparsely in the Lowlands.

Knotgrass- A very common weed, the stems can grow up to three tail-lengths high, with stalkless, alternating, narrow oval leaves.  The roots are very strong and branching.  It can be used to treat diarrhea and kill worms and fleas.  It can be found almost anywhere.

Labrador Tea- A shrub that grows to a height of two or three tail-lengths with irregular and wooly branches.  The leaves are alternate and elliptical or oblong.  The upperside of the leaves are smooth and the underside is woolly, with the edges rolled back.  Bees are attracted to the large, white, five-petaled flower clusters.  It can be made into a poultice and rubbed on the chest and neck to treat coughs and chest infections.  It tastes and smells spicy, a bit like mint.  It can be found in the mountains.

Lamb's Ear- A small, very soft, fuzzy whitish-green plant.  It is eaten to give strength.  It is very common higher up in the mountains.

Lavender- A small, flowering plant with tall clusters of purple flowers, the leaves can be eaten to soothe the throat and stop nausea, vomiting, and convulsions.  The unique scent helps to calm the nerves and reduce stress.  The juice can be rubbed on areas to reduce inflammation and calm painful joints and muscles, and dabbed on the forehead to ease headaches and fever.  This plant is found most often in sparse forested areas, but can also be found on the Plains.  It is especially common on Chanting Hill.

Mallow- A short plant with fuzzy, three-pointed, somewhat bumpy leaves and sweet-smelling purple flowers with narrow, heart-shaped petals.  It is eaten to soothe bellyaches.  It grows best in sandy areas along the water, especially in the Lowlands.

Marigold- Also called calendula, this is a small plant with oblong green leaves and many-petaled, orange-yellow flowers.  The flowers are frequently used in a poultice to help heal cuts, scrapes, bruises and other minor wounds or soothe the itch or sting of insect bites, as well as to decrease inflammation.  They can also be ingested to soothe stomach cramps, but should not be consumed by pregnant females.  This plant can be found throughout the Plains and in meadowy areas within sparse forest, as well as on Chanting Hill.

Mint- A low-growing plant with downy, serrated leaves that can be anywhere from green to purple to yellow, with white fuzz.  It has a very sharp, cool smell and taste.  It can be eaten or rubbed on a den-mother’s belly when her pups are having trouble suckling.  It can be found throughout the forest.

Oak- A large, common tree with rough brown bark and easily-identifiable, many-pointed leaves.  Dry leaves are taken from the forest floor in fall.  A poultice can be chewed and applied thickly on wounds to stop infection from spreading.

Parsley- A low-growing plant with broad, crinkly, ragged-edged leaves and tiny clumps of five to eight white or yellow flowers on a branching stalk.  It generally has little use, but can stop milk flow in some den-mothers.  It is poisonous to birds.  Can be found in sunny areas near the river.

Poison Ivy- An irritating, low-growing plant that causes horrible, itchy skin lesions and fur loss.  The roots are reddish and branching, and the leaves are large and three-parted, with the central leaflet longest and the lateral ones nearly stalkless.  When dry, the leaves are papery and brittle, sometimes with black spots.  It can be ingested for a deep sedative that causes temporary paralysis, but also causes irritation and delirium, so is not to be used lightly.  It grows commonly in the dark parts of forests.

Poppy- A bright orange-red flower, the seeds of this plant can be consumed to induce sleep, help with pain, and calm the nerves.  The entire flower heads can be consumed to help with coughs, and the petals and leaves can be chewed to improve sleep.  It can be located on The Plains, as well as in the Lowlands and on Chanting Hill.

Ragwort- A tall, rotten-tasting shrub with yellow flowers and tiny, numerous leaves.  It is applied in a poultice to treat aching joints.  It can be found in sparse forests.

Ragweed- A ragged-leaved plant that looks similar to a fern.  It is eaten for strength and energy.  It can be found among rocks in the mountains.

Raspberry- This looks very similar to a blackberry bush, but the leaves are soft to the touch with sharp-toothed edges, and the berries are red.  The leaves are given to den-mothers to stop bleeding during whelping.  Can be found throughout the forest.

Rush- A plant with dark, reddish-purple heads on its long, thin stalks.  Hard stalks can be used to bind some broken bones.  It is found most commonly near water.

Snakeroot- A fairly tall plant with large leaves and clusters of small white flowers near the top of the plant.  The roots can be eaten in small amounts to aid fevers and diarrhea, and can be chewed up and applied to snakebites to draw out the venom.  Consuming too much of this plant can cause weakness and nausea.  You can find it in areas with sparse vegetation, such as on the edges of forests, as well as in thickets and on the edge of the Marshlands.

Saffron- A low plant with grass-like leaves and lily-shaped pink flowers.  Parts of the plant are eaten before or after whelping to prevent or stop heavy bleeding.  It grows in meadows, on Chanting Hill, and in forest clearings during summer.

Sage- This plant generally grows about half a tail-length high and has wiry stems.  The leaves grow in pairs up the stem and are oblong with rounded ends and prominent veins.  Flowers grow only in late summer and are in whorls, purplish, and lipped.  All parts have a strong herbal odor and have a warm, bitter taste.  Drinking a tonic of water and crushed sage can soothe the throat.  Fresh leaves can be rubbed on teeth to strengthen them in elders.  It is most commonly found in forests near water.

Sorrel- A tall plant with arrow-shaped leaves and tiny round red flowers on a stalk. . Roots and leaves are used to help with heavy bleeding, as well as to stimulate appetite.  It grows pretty much anywhere.

Sticklewort- A spiky, woody root with a black stem, small leaflets and yellow, star-shaped flowers.  When mixed in a tonic of water and honey, it can be ingested to fix the worst stomachaches and, surprisingly, snake bites, if taken immediately.  It can be found in meadows and on Chanting Hill, as well as in dry thickets.

Stinging Nettle- A bushy plant with hard, brown or green stems and long, toothed, yellow-green leaves.  It is most distinguished from its long clusters of very tiny bulbs.  The leaves and stems can be covered in hairs that are either soft or spiky.  Seeds are eaten to induce vomiting.  Seeds and leaves can be chewed and applied to swelling areas, and it can be mixed with comfrey to help heal broken bones.  The stems also help with infection.  It is found all over forests, and, most commonly, in moist fields.

Sweet Sedge- Thick, reed-like stems tipped with long, yellow, cone-shaped buds.  The sap is swallowed to ease internal infections.  It is most common near rivers or streams, but only during winter.

Tansy- Easily distinguished by its feathery, dark green leaves and clusters of round, bright yellow flowers.  Its flowers can cure coughs and the leaves can be chewed to relieve aches, but it must be used only in small doses, as it is toxic.  NEVER give tansy to a pregnant female, as it can cause miscarriage.  It grows on the edges of the tree lines, as well as in sparse clusters of trees or clearings in the forest.

Thyme- A short, strong-smelling green plant with numerous woody stems and flattish round leaves that grow in pairs.  It flowers in summer, with the small, bluish purple flowers growing in clusters.  Can be used to aid in anxiety and help bring on sleep.  It can also repel insects.  Should not be used by pregnant females, as it can cause miscarriage.  It grows in the Plains and the Lowlands.

Watermint- A green, leafy plant, this can be fed to individuals suffering from bellyache.  It can be found in the Marshlands, as well as in the shallows of the Lake and the streams and rivers of the valley.

Whitebark Pine- A tall evergreen with soft needles, the nuts of this tree are a very important food source for many animals, such as bears, birds, and squirrels.  Also a tasty and nutritious treat for the wolves.  There are small patches of these endangered trees scattered across the valley, most notably in Aspen Grove, the Evergreens, and near Avalanche Passage.  There are also a few trees near the entrance to and on Chanting Hill.

Wild Garlic- A strong smelling, grass-like plant with white, round roots.  Rolling in it can disguise scent.   It can also be applied to bites or scratches to prevent infection.   It can be found near the edges of the forest.

Willow- A medium-sized tree with long, thin branches that droop down.  The small leaves are a grayish green color.  The flaky bark can be eaten in small doses to ease pain, lower inflammation, and help with diarrhea and fever.  These trees grow most often in the Marshlands, as well as near rivers and streams.

Yarrow- A fern-like plant with soft, grayish, feathery leaves.  It can be consumed to induce vomiting, or chewed and applied to wounds to relieve pain and prevent infection.  It grows in sparse forested areas, such as at the edge of the trees or in clearings in Aspen Grove or the Evergreens.

Yew- This is a quite large and poisonous plant, identifiable by its stout, red, peeling trunk and pine-like leaves.  Its red, pitted berries grow on the stems of the needle-like leaves and are very toxic to eat.  They are sometimes used to end a suffering wolf's life if they can't be helped, but only if they ask for them.  It can be found in most forests.

Last edited by WolfTrek on Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am; edited 4 times in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Glossary

- Pack Terms & Other Words -

Alula- Plural, alulae.  The 'thumb feathers', attached to the pollex - the first digit of the wing.  These feathers are normally held flush against the topside of the wing, but can be spread outwards to create more lift and thus slow flight.  They are especially helpful when landing.  The number of feathers that make up the alula varies between bird species, though there are generally between three and five.  The winged wolves have four alula feathers.

Ancestors- The spirits of those wolves who have crossed over and joined the Great Link.  The wolves look to them for guidance, particularly during difficult times.

Bear Dung- An expression of frustration.  Can also be used as an insult.  Stronger word than rabbit dung.

Coverts- The smaller feathers of the wing that form the smooth, aerodynamic shape.  There are several layers - the closer to the wing bones, the smaller the feathers become.  On top of the wing, the coverts together are known as 'upperwing coverts'.  Several layers make up the upperwing coverts.  The 'primary coverts', or the first layer of coverts above the primary remiges, are the largest.  The remainder of the first layer of coverts, above the secondary remiges, are called 'secondary coverts'.  Together, the primary and secondary coverts are known as 'greater coverts'.  The next layer, on top of the greater coverts, is made up of 'median coverts'.  The several smaller layers of coverts above these are known as 'marginal coverts'.  On the underside of the wing, the coverts are known as 'underwing coverts'.  The layers correspond to the layers of the upperwing coverts, but are less distinct.  The 'axillaries' are the coverts closest to the body, and overlap the base of the wing.

Feather-Brain- An insulting term for a less-than-intelligent individual.  When one makes a bad decision or acts foolishly, they are often said to be feather-brained.

Feather Dust- The whitish protective coating that flakes off of newly-grown feathers.

Great Link- The great swath of stars in the sky, where all the Spirits of those who have passed on reside.  The most honorable of wolves will typically quickly find their way to the link, usually with the help of a close friend or family member who has already passed.  However, some others may have a bit more difficulty, and may wander around on the Earth as pure energy for some time before making their way to the Link.  Those who have committed crimes, and have never redeemed themselves, will have to pass many tests to be accepted, or may never find their way at all and remain Earthbound for all of eternity.

Hairlength- A measurement equaling about two to three inches.

Hoofhead- Another insulting term for a foolish or unintelligent individual; idiot.

Moon- A month.  A quarter-moon equals a week, and a half-moon is equal to two weeks.

Moonhigh- When the moon is at its highest point in the sky, usually midnight.

Primaries- The first ten flight feathers (or remiges) of the wing, these attach to the wing's 'hand', or manus.  Sometimes, they are 'notched', meaning that, about three-quarters of the way down the feather, it cuts in toward the feather shaft before turning down once more, causing a more pointed tip to the feather.  This notch is present in most birds of prey, as well as the wolves, and helps with maneuvering.

Pup-Down- The fuzzy feathers covering the wings of young pups.  Can also be used as an insult - individuals who act irrationally are often said to have a head full of pup-down.

Rabbit Dung- An expression of frustration.  Can also be used as an insult.

Remiges- Singular, remex.  The primaries, secondaries, and tertiaries together.  They are also collectively referred to as 'flight feathers'.

Season Cycle- Term for a year.  Also just called cycles.

Secondaries- The remainder of the remiges, attached to the ulna, these are more rounded at the tip, with no notching.  The wolves have 11 such feathers, plus five tertiaries, for a total of 16.

Sleep-Site- The term for a place where the pack spends the night.  When young pups aren't in the den, the Crystal Falls wolves wander around the territory, but frequently gather and bed down in the same place for a few nights at a time before moving on to another site.

Spirits- Another term for the Ancestors.  They are the soul energy of wolves who have crossed over.  Can also be used singularly to describe one soul in particular.  They guide those that remain in the physical world.

Sun- Another term for a day.

Sunhigh- When the sun is at its highest point in the sky, usually at around noon.  Another word for 'middlemark'.

Sunmark- A measurement of time equaling about an hour; how far the sun moves in the sky during that time.  Noon is known as 'middlemark'.

Tail-Length- The measurement of an average wolf's tail; about three feet.

Tertiaries- The innermost secondaries, attached to the humerus.  Most birds have three, but the wolves have five.  When the wing is folded, they rest on top of the other secondaries.

Wingercise- To exercise and stretch the wings, usually by flapping without taking off; typically performed by learning pups and young initiates, but also sometimes by adults who have suffered wing injuries to help strengthen the wings before beginning to fly again.

Winglength- The measurement of one average wing's length; about 10 feet.

Wingspan- The measurement of an average wolf's entire wingspan; about 20 feet.

Wolflength- The measurement between an average wolf's chest and rump; about a meter.

Last edited by WolfTrek on Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am; edited 6 times in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Here is tomorrow, just past the sunrise, my fingers reaching out.  'Cause we are believers, the guards of the skyline.  The curse can't tie us down.  We've waited so long...  We've waited long enough...

(( ... ))

Elskan's POV

Elskan lay in a patch of long grass sheltered by a few scraggly aspens and a cluster of large rocks on the side of a hill amid the pine forest, his chin resting on his forelegs.  They were only a short ways from the creek they'd been traveling along since the day before, and he could still hear the water babbling softly in the distance.  His eyes were closed as he listened to the steady breathing of the three she-wolves sleeping close by, but he himself was wide awake.  He knew from the sound of Laiko’s breathing that his brother was not asleep yet, either, and he knew why.  He still had yet to explain one big, glaring thing to him: who was Muri, and how was it that she looked, behaved, even smelled, just like Saria, the brothers' old pup-sitter?

Sure enough, after it was clear that his chocolate-furred companion, along with Kali and Sihti, were fast asleep, Elskan could hear Laiko get quietly to his paws and pad away.  With a soft sigh, Elskan opened his green eyes and stood as well, glancing briefly to the three she-wolves before following Laiko to an outcropping of rock a short distance away from the patch of grass, jutting out next to a shallow waterfall that tumbled gently down into the creek below.  He sat down next to the taller male, and the pair stared out over the largely open land across the creek for a short time before Laiko finally spoke.

"So... I suppose you know what I'm going to say, eh?" he murmured without turning his head.

Elskan nodded wearily.  "Yes.  I know."  He was silent for a few heartbeats before taking a deep breath.  "I don't know who she is, and I don't know why she's so much like Saria.  I've run it over and over in my head for moons now, but... it's just... impossible.  She's impossible."

"Doesn't it concern you, though?" Laiko questioned, finally turning to look at the grayish wolf with a frown.  "Couldn't she be some sort of impostor?  The Spirits know we've seen those before."

Elskan shook his head.  "I don't think so.  Her behavior and mannerisms are far too exact for that."

"Then some sort of time travel?  Perhaps she never actually died at all, and jumped forward in time instead?  Her body was never recovered, after all."

Elskan frowned.  "I don't know...  Perhaps.  But I truly believe she has no idea who Saria is-- was.  Earlier, when I questioned her about it, she reacted with confusion."  He paused.  "In any case, I've decided that it doesn’t matter.  Muri's my friend, and I care about her, regardless of her relation - if any - to Saria."

Laiko didn't say anything more on the subject, but Elskan could practically sense the mixed curiosity and concern rolling off him in waves.

The pair sat there for a while in silence, both lost in thought.  It was a little while before Laiko broached a different subject.  "It's... it's good to see you again, you know," he began hesitantly but with feeling, his voice barely louder than a whisper, his honey-colored eyes drifting over to rest on Elskan for a moment before dropping to his paws.  "When I returned home, all those moons ago, to find everyone dead... I searched for you among the... others.  It was impossible to follow any scent trails on the battlefield, but when I couldn't find your body I thought, perhaps, somehow, you'd survived.  Finally, I saw you lying in the bushes - I thought you were dead, you were so still.  Then an enemy patrol came along - nearly caught me - and... I had to leave."  He paused, swallowing.  "And now I know that I left you there, all alone.  If they'd killed you, it would've been my fault..."  His voice broke.  "I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry."

Elskan watched his brother sadly, his green eyes welling with emotion.  He remembered the hurt and confusion he'd felt when he'd detected Laiko's faint scent in that little mountain cave several moons back, remembered seeing the pawprints in the sun-baked mud at the edge of that river, recalled how he'd wondered if he was going insane and imagining the signs.  But none of that mattered anymore.  His brother was alive.  He also sensed there was much more to Laiko's story - something that had caused a great deal of emotional trauma - something the brown male wasn't yet ready to tell - but Elskan wasn't going to press.  Gently, he reached out with his right wing and draped it over Laiko's trembling shoulders.  "I know," he murmured, his own voice wavering.  "And it's alright.  I missed you, too."

Laiko met his gaze with a look of immense gratitude, and, slowly, reached up with his own wing in turn, resting it over Elskan's.  And together the brothers sat, looking over the valley in silence.

-----

Elskan awoke the next morning to a bright shaft of sunlight beaming down through the trees onto his muzzle.  He blinked open his eyes and yawned, arching his back in a stretch, before getting to his feet.  Laiko was already beginning to stir, as well, so he padded over to the closest of the she-wolves - who happened to be Muri - and began to prod her gently with one forepaw.

"Wakey-wakey, rise and shine," he woofed.  "It's going to be a hot day, so we'd best get moving while it's still early."

Akamai's POV

Akamai woke to the sound of birdsong and an infrequent but steady drip-drip.  It was about a quarter moon after his discussion with Kalake about returning to the pack - unluckily, a snowstorm had kept them holed up in their den for the past several days; the only time Akamai had been able to leave had been during a brief lull three days ago to hunt.  Today he hoped they would finally be able to return to the pack with the pups, if the weather permitted the lengthy travel.

Blinking open his yellow-green eyes, he gazed out of the small cave he and Kalake were nested in to see that the layer of snow in the ground outside was shining a blinding white.  Squinting slightly, he got to his paws and stepped out of the nest of grass and feathers, padding softly to the den entrance.  Peering up, he saw a clear blue sky, broken only here and there with a few wispy white clouds.  The air was warmer than it had been for at least half a moon, and the snow was beginning to melt in places.  The Spirits had graced this day with perfect weather.

Turning around with a wag of his tail, he headed back over to the nest and gently nosed his mate's cheek.  "Kalake, wake up, " he murmured softly.  "It's time for us to leave."

Keinan's POV

Keinan lay on a large, flat stone to the side of the little rock cave at the edge of the clearing the pack was bedded down in, gazing out over the sleeping wolves.  He had been awake since before dawn, worrying over what this new day may bring.  Maligaya's return about a quarter-moon before had alleviated some of his worries, but the news she'd brought him of the Dark-Heart attack - and of her previously thought-to-be-deceased brother's involvement in it - had brought new concerns to the forefront of his troubled mind.  He'd been frequently discussing possible courses of action with Mali, Mahalo, Peyhote, and Kelsingra ever since, and together they had, only just last night, finally come up with a plan that could help shed some light on Allegro's place within the rival pack, as well as that of Keinan's own brother, Chayton.

However, the idea was a potentially dangerous one, and the Chief had yet to ask the would-be infiltrator if he would be willing to participate; he hadn't wanted to disturb him the night before, as he'd already bedded down.  Keinan knew Ryyn had been sleeping with the shy she-wolf Kyynel in the trees lining the clearing for nearly a moon now - much to the Chief's appreciation, as he'd been concerned about the she-wolf for quite some time - and he expected that was where the young snowy white male was now.  Soon, the pack would begin to wake, and Keinan hoped he could catch Ryyn before he left on patrol.

Nevinost's POV

At the edge of the Dark-Heart densite, Nevinost lay silently next to the trunk of her favorite pine, chin on her forelegs, trying to ignore the uncomfortable sensation of eyes burning into her pelt.  Much to her distaste, Roth had been put on watch over her for that morning, and, as per usual, the scrawny male was apparently attempting to set her on fire with his stare.  Why can't he just leave me be? the she-wolf thought uncomfortably and a bit irritably.  What does he want with me?

Nevi knew all too well what he wanted, and the thought of it caused the fur on the back of her neck to stand on end.  Surely even he wouldn't try something like that on a pregnant female, though?  What sort of creep would do that?  She risked a glance at the goldish male out of the corner of her eye, and, noting the scars marring his rusted muzzle and ears, and the gleam in his sickly yellow-green eyes, she knew.  That sort of a creep.

Just then, before she could look away, Roth noticed her eyes on him and grinned, getting to his paws and slowly beginning to pad his way closer to her.  No, no, don't come over here!!  I wasn't inviting you!! Nevi thought with a flash of panic, squirming closer to the tree trunk and dropping her wings over her swollen flanks protectively.  Not stopping to think about the possible consequences of her show of insubordination, she turned her face toward him, flattening her ears and showing her teeth.

"Take one step closer and I'll tear off the rest of your ears, you piece of bear-dung!" she snarled harshly.

Roth grinned further but stopped about three tail-lengths away, a low, raspy laugh rumbling in his throat and his thin tail wagging slightly.  A shiver of disgust and fear ran through Nevi from nose to tailtip.  What would she do if he started forward again?  Nerys had saved her from finding out once before, but she wasn't here right now, and she had little doubt that the rest of the wolves in the densite would do nothing to help her if he made a move.

This is our right, this is our song, this is our moment in history.  Ten million roads turn into one.  This is our fight, where we belong.  No one can take away destiny.  So let the night cover us all - stars will never fall...

Last edited by WolfTrek on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by Koilada Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:11 pm

I ωσи'т gινε υρ, иσ I ωσи'т gινε ιи тιll I яεαcн тнε εиd αиd тнεи I'll ѕтαят αgαιи. Tнσυgн I'м σи тнε lεαd, I ωαииα тяч ενεячтнιиg, I ωαииα тяч ενεи тнσυgн I cσυld ƒαιl

{{  ...  }}

----Maligaya----

The stocky, peach-coloured she wolf padded into the densite after an early-morning hunt, a fat pheasant hanging limp in her jaws. Her yeow-green eyes scanned the clearing for her guest, and, ah, there he was, right where she'd left him. Maigaya trotted over to her silver-furred friend, finding that he'd finally seemed to be waking, and dropped the prey at his paws.

"Good morning, Ayip." She greeted pleasantly, "I caught you a bird, I thought that you might not have had much of a chance to eat them while in that cave, and I decided that you might appreciate something other than bat or fish during your visit."

----Muri----

(I figure we should put a pause on them until Lady comes back XD)

----Allegro----

The cream-furred male strode grumpily back to where he'd figure his mate would be, having been taken away from her in the wee hours of the morning by a group of Dark Hearts who forced him on patrol. He wanted to see Nevi's face, it was the only thing that could soothe him, but what he saw when approaching the pine only made him angrier. The pregnant female cowered by the roots, with that wretched pile of a wolf known as Roth staring her down with a disgusting look of desire in his eyes.

Allegro was not having a good day. If he had caught Roth at any other time, he simply would've planted himself by his mate and shown his teeth, that scrawny scrap of fur wouldn't dare fight back, but the brute of wolf was in a bad mood, and that foul-smelling snake's sight baring into his beloved Nevinost with such vile intentions only caused the flame of anger within his chest to burst, knocking all sense from his head.

He only saw red as he tore through the bushes and barrelled into the weaker male, pinning him to the ground and staring down at him with slobbered, snarling teeth. 

"Don't. You. DARE!" He roared, pressing his mighty paws heavily into Roth's throat.

----Ryyn----

Perky young Ryyn was already awake, of course, but he stayed panted by Kyyne until she showed signs of awakening. As antsy as he was to move, however, he did enjoy watching her; the blue wolf looked so peaceful when she slept.

I ωσи'т gινε υρ, иσ I ωσи'т gινε ιи тιll I яεαcн тнε εиd αиd тнεи I'll ѕтαят αgαιи
Nσ I ωσи'т lεανε, I ωαииα тяч ενεячтнιиg, I ωαииα тяч ενεи тнσυgн I cσυld ƒαιl
Koilada
Koilada
A MAJESTIC FISH
A MAJESTIC FISH

Prey : 144

http://koilada.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 am

Here is tomorrow, just past the sunrise, my fingers reaching out.  'Cause we are believers, the guards of the skyline.  The curse can't tie us down.  We've waited so long...  We've waited long enough...

(( Yeeeaaah, that's probably for the best xD  Lady-o, Lady-o, wherefore art thou, Lady-o?  lol ))

Ayip's POV

Ayip had just started to stir when a movement at the edge of his field of sight caused him to wake more fully.  He blinked his eyes open and lifted his head, realizing that the wolf walking toward him was Maligaya; he wondered where she had gone.  It was impossible for him to tell the exact time of day, as he was unable to see how far the sun had risen in the sky, but from the temperature, as well as the still-lingering scents of dew and the fact that many of the wolves around him still seemed to be sleeping or otherwise just beginning to wake, he figured it must still be fairly early in the morning.

As she drew closer to him, he caught sight of the prey she carried in her jaws, and, a moment later, the scent of it drifted to his sensitive black nose.  It was an odor he hadn't smelled in many, many moons, but one he remembered quite well from his early youth, and, after a moment, his brain supplied him with the name of the animal it belonged to - pheasant.  Pheasants had been one of the few creatures he had been capable of hunting while he'd still lived with his pack.

He pushed himself up on his forepaws just as the peachy she-wolf reached him, and gave her a warm smile.  "Thank you, Mali," he woofed appreciatively, his tail twitching into a light wag.  "I haven't eaten pheasant in almost two cycles now, I think.  It's one of my favorites."

The young male leaned down and sniffed the prey, reminded of his early days - memories of afternoons spent chasing the largely ground-dwelling birds.  He smiled to himself, then reached down to pluck off a mouthful of the tawny feathers before taking a large bite, savoring the flavor of the fresh meat.  "Would you like some?" he asked his friend after he'd swallowed, wanting to be polite.  It was she who had made the catch, after all.

Kyynel's POV

As the sun began to creep higher up in the sky, Kyynel, too, began to stir, shifting against the fallen log she and Ryyn frequently slept by.  A moment later, her jaws parted in a wide but dainty yawn, and she blinked open her turquoise eyes, which settled, after another moment, on the pale form of Ryyn.

The blue-and-cream she-wolf smiled sleepily.  "Good morning, Ryyn," she murmured, trailing off into another yawn before shifting upward into a sitting position and ruffling her feathers, beginning to preen a few stray coverts back into place.

Nevinost's POV

With her sharp glare locked firmly onto the scrawny wolf in front of her, Nevi didn't notice her mate's approach until the large male came barreling into Roth, sending the much lighter male sprawling to the ground with a surprised yelp.  "Allegro!" the pregnant female cried in shock, half-leaping, half-staggering to her feet, her eyes wide with alarm - if one of the higher-ranking Dark-Hearts saw this... or, Spirits forbid, Odeya came along...

Now pinned, Roth glared up at Allegro with a look of pure distain.  It was clear he knew he stood no chance trying to throw off the much larger male - he had little muscle on him and weighed much less, and on top of that he was already firmly trapped by Allegro's weight.  He didn't even attempt to struggle, just stared up at the cream-colored male hatefully.

Oḍeya's POV

As luck would have it for the unfortunate pair, the Dark-Heart leader was just strolling into the densite from an early-morning hunt, a small fawn hanging limply from her jaws.  Her 'mate', Vasher, trailed behind her, blank-faced as always.

Quickly noticing the altercation occurring across the small clearing, Odeya gave a withering sigh, dropping the fawn where she stood and stepping uncaringly over it, flicking her tail for Vasher to follow.  She strode up to Allegro, pausing about a winglength away from him and off to the side.  "Get off him," she commanded with a low growl. "Now."  She flicked an ear sideways at Vasher next to her, the gesture, as well as the look in her eyes, making her intentions clear - the small, albeit shockingly vicious she-wolf didn't stand much of a chance against Allegro by herself, but if he didn't back down, she and Vasher would take him on together; the large, gray male, though he never showed any signs of anger or emotion of any kind, was large and quite muscular himself, if still smaller than Allegro.  Odeya knew he would obey her; he always did.  And, though she was, by all means, certainly not Roth's biggest fan, Allegro's show of insubordination wouldn't fly with her around.

Chayton's POV

A pair of wide, gold eyes was also watching the confrontation from the bushes nearby, unnoticed.  Chayton hadn't emerged from his resting place since Odeya had threatened him the night before, and no one had come looking for him yet that morning, though that was fine by him.  The leader's behavior toward him had come as a huge shock and quite a bit of confusion to the white-based male, and he was still unsure what to think about it.  He didn't even know why he was so surprised, but her attack on him seemed to have begun to awaken something within him - something that had been hidden deep inside his psyche for the past four moons...

This is our right, this is our song, this is our moment in history.  Ten million roads turn into one.  This is our fight, where we belong.  No one can take away destiny.  So let the night cover us all - stars will never fall...
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by Koilada Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I ωσи'т gινε υρ, иσ I ωσи'т gινε ιи тιll I яεαcн тнε εиd αиd тнεи I'll ѕтαят αgαιи. Tнσυgн I'м σи тнε lεαd, I ωαииα тяч ενεячтнιиg, I ωαииα тяч ενεи тнσυgн I cσυld ƒαιl

{{  ...  }}

----Maligaya----

Maligaya gave a smile at his words, but shook her head, then gave a light wuff in reply; "It's kind of you to offer, Ayip, but I already ate."

The peachy-coloured wolf then nestled down in front of her friend, and proceeded to watch as he chowed on his breakfast.  She could practically feel his joy, and that made her happy in turn. As she watched him, however, she noticed a few misplaced eaves, twigs and dust littering in his mussed, pale pelt, and she had to suppress a laugh. Poor Ayip wasn't used to sleeping outside, she'd gathered.

"Ayip," she started, unable to stop a giggle this time, "Hold still for me, please?"

----Allegro----

Allegro's face whipped to his faux-leader as she approached, his teeth still bared and, still enraged enough to push his luck, sent a fierce snarl at her as he made a move to lunge at her. He didn't care what happened to himself, if he could strike Odeya down, his mate would be free, and she would be able to raise their pups somewhere safe.

...But then, in his peripheral vision, he caught a glimpse of Nevi, and the short glance of worry and horror that sat in her eyes stopped him in his tracks; What would happen to her without him? The large male knew that the she-wolf could hold her own in battle, but with a bellyful of pups weighing her down and inhibiting her movement, she was practically a wounded rabbit in a fox den.

That knocked some sense into him, and Allegro stayed, paws still in the throat of Roth.

"He was going to defile my mate!" The oversized male spat with disgust, his simmering temper still not reaching his mouth. "He could've hurt - or worse, killed - my pups!"

What originally began as an expression of anger sparked an idea in Allegro's head. He could play to Odeya's future plans, and Roth was the bargaining chip.

"And you wouldn't want that, would you? I'll let him live... If you keep him far away from Nevi." He barked, voice much calmer than before. Then he paused, pretending to consider something, before opening his mouth again. He really hated to do this, especially not to Nevi, but if this could save her and their pups, he'd do it in a heartbeat. "Actually, I'll give you more incentive, and a better deal. You want my litter, right? Let my mate go free, and I'll... Give myself to you, Odeya. You can have my pups... With your own blood in their veins."

Allegro's stomach churned as the words left his mouth, but there was not backing out now, it was said and done.

He didn't dare look back at his mate.

----Ryyn----

The white wolf noticed the previously-sleeping female stir beside him, and his tail thumped wildly at the ground.

"Good morning, Kyynel!" He yipped peppily.

I ωσи'т gινε υρ, иσ I ωσи'т gινε ιи тιll I яεαcн тнε εиd αиd тнεи I'll ѕтαят αgαιи
Koilada
Koilada
A MAJESTIC FISH
A MAJESTIC FISH

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am

(( ... ))

Ayip's POV

Ayip cocked his head slightly and blinked.  "Oh, alright."  He hesitated for a moment before turning back toward the pheasant, grabbing it up and sliding down onto his forelegs once more before laying it between his paws and beginning to pluck more feathers, running his tongue over his teeth with a slight grimace as they stuck to the inside of his mouth - that was the one bad thing about birds.

He had just torn another mouthful of flesh from the plucked breast of the pheasant when Mali laughed.  He paused with the meat still in his mouth, and tilted his head slightly toward her, ears pricking.  "What?  What's wrong?" he asked with a note of confusion, frowning slightly, his voice muffled by his mouthful of food.  He was oblivious to the foliage strewn in his pelt.

Kyynel's POV

The bluish she-wolf smiled at him briefly before returning to her preening.  A few more nibbles and she was satisfied, fluffing out her feathers and shaking her wings before smoothening and tucking them to her sides once again.

Once finished, she turned to Ryyn again, her eyes bright. "So... what are we going to do today?"  She wasn't extremely keen on doing any pack stuff again, especially considering the last - and first - time they'd done that, about a quarter-moon earlier, they'd almost immediately run into trouble on their patrol-thing, so she hoped he wouldn't suggest that.

Nevinost's POV

Nevi sucked in a breath as she saw Allegro tense and snarl, as if about to leap on Odeya - she knew that would end horribly for him, and perhaps even for her, as well.  There were too many Dark-Hearts for him to beat, even if she did her best to help, and they'd surely come running if their leader was attacked.

But then, he stopped, and began to speak.  She listened to his words with a frown, unsure that making a bargain based on Roth's life was the best thing to do... but as he made his final offer, her heart dropped like a rock in a still pond.  No... No! she thought in horror, the words not reaching her mouth.  He couldn't...  He wouldn't.  It wasn't worth it.  They were going to find a way out together - that had been the plan all along.  Now, even if they let her go, he would be trapped here - the next breeding cycle was more than two moons away!  He wouldn't be there for the birth of their pups, or to watch them grow...  And besides, where would she go?  She couldn't just strike out alone, in this unknown territory.  Certainly she couldn't raise pups and provide for them all by herself...

And then, of course, there was the matter of him mating with another she-wolf...  That idea alone was horrible enough, even if it was only done to save her, but... Odeya?  The leader of this vile band of wolves?  Somehow, that made it all even more terrible...

"Alle, no..." she finally managed to choke out, her voice quiet and hoarse.  She stared at her mate with wide, glistening eyes, begging him...  But there was nothing to beg for.  He'd already made the offer.  There was no going back now.

Oḍeya's POV

At Allegro's threatening posture, Odeya had stiffened, her hackles raising, tail lifting, legs splaying slightly in preparation for an attack.  Vasher stiffened next to her, clearly expecting the same, though his posture wasn't nearly as pronounced.

Roth continued to glare up at the bigger male at his threat. "You can try to kill me, Dirt-Butt," he muttered, his lips curling, though he still didn't put up a struggle.  Odeya ignored him.

The leader didn't relax her muscles as Allegro began to speak - that is, until he made his offer.  Her tail drooped slightly in surprise, hackles lowering, expression loosening.  She narrowed her eyes slightly, thinking about what he'd said.  The entire point of keeping the pair of mates hostage was so that they could take their pups - the huge, muscular male had strong blood, which would would likely make for strong offspring.  After the pups were born, the pair would be killed, so that the only influence the pups would have would be the Dark-Hearts.  They would never know their true parents.  But, if Allegro was willing to make this offer, and without any effort on Odeya's own part, she wasn't about to pass the opportunity up.  With Allegro as the father, Nevinost's pups had a good chance of being large and powerful, even if the she-wolf's relative softness would dilute his own strength.  But, if Odeya herself bore his pups, they would be even more formidable, with her blood running through their veins as well.  And, of course, she wouldn't actually let his mate free - just move her out of the densite and make him think she was.  The Dark-Hearts would still get Nevinost's pups, with the added bonus of another litter from Odeya, with even stronger blood than Vasher could provide her.  A small, foreboding grin came to her face at the thought, a dark glint twinkling in her yellow eyes.

"Fine," she agreed, quickly wiping the momentary grin from her face and replacing it with a smile, her eyes half-lidded and her voice holding a honeyed tone. "There's a wolf among our ranks who can make this happen right now. We can do it immediately." She knew the large, cream-colored male wouldn't have been expecting that, and she relished in the looks on the faces of him and his mate.  She felt Vasher shift beside her, but didn't look at him.

Chayton's POV

Chayton, who was still observing from the bushes, was rather taken aback by the big cream-colored male's offer.  His golden eyes widened, unblinking as he stared at the conversing group.  He would really make a promise like that, just to keep his mate safe?  Oh, but she would never be safe among the Dark-Hearts - Chayton knew Odeya would never let her go that easily...

Last edited by WolfTrek on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 am; edited 2 times in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by Koilada Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 pm

{{  ...  }}

----Maligaya----

The stout she-wolf scooted forward, close enough that she wasn't quite squishing the pheasant, but enough so that she could reach around the silver male's neck. Starting there, she began to pluck various pieces of foliage from his fur, tossing them in a pile to the side. Maligaya marveled at how soft his pelt was to the touch; keeping your fur away from the weather worked magic, she thought.

Eventually, she got to the top of his head, and after removing a couple of leaves from the finer fur behind his ears, she began to smooth the mussed fur on his forehead with her tongue, being so used to doing the same to Wanook when she groomed him that the peach wolf didn't think twice about doing it. 

"There," She started, bringing her face back down to look Ayip in the face. Her prior scoot forward had made it so that her head now hung an intimate degree, close enough that she could feel his warm, damp breath on her snout; Maligaya was not a wolf who was bothered by intamacy, however, so she didn't mind in the slightest. "That's better."

----Allegro----

Allegro deafened his ears to Nevi's whimpering, because he knew that if he heeded her, he probably wouldn't go through with what he'd just suggested, and then they'd both be stuck.

He sat in silence, stone-faced and sturdy, as the alpha female pondered. When she finally agreed, the large male almost let out a sigh of relief, but what he said next made his blue eyes widen. Odeya could do that? Now? Allegro wasn't planning on the Dark-Heart having the resources to conceive off-season, he was hoping he could bide his time until he found a chance to escape.

Allegro forced his lids back into their icey position and gruffly replied. "Okay, done. Just let me say goodbye to my mate, first. I won't go with you until she's gone."

----Ryyn----

"Hmm..." The young male hummed in thought, turning his eyes upt to the sky as he did so. "I dunno, maybe we should just relax today."

Koilada
Koilada
A MAJESTIC FISH
A MAJESTIC FISH

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm

(( ... ))

Ayip's POV

Ayip held very still as Maligaya scooted closer and reached around his neck, beginning to pick what seemed to be bits of foliage out of his pelt.  He blinked, watching her work with intrigue and slight puzzlement.  How had he not noticed the leaves and twigs strewn in his fur?  He supposed he just wasn't used to it - he never had to worry about such things living in a cave, after all.

Once she had finished, he opened his mouth to thank her, when she began to lick his head.  His pale eyes widened in surprise and he stiffened slightly, his jaws parted wordlessly for a moment before he closed them again.  He couldn't ever recall anyone grooming him, though he supposed his mother had, when he'd been very young, too young to remember.  It felt... nice.

After she pulled back to look him in the face, he remained wordless for a few heartbeats before finally finding his voice.  "T-thank you," he murmured softly, giving her a small but genuine smile.  "That was...  That was really nice of you."  His ears flushed slightly with heat at her closeness - he wasn't at all used to being so near another...

Kyynel's POV

Kyynel smiled again at that, following his gaze up into the sky.  It was a lovely day - just a few wispy white clouds scuttling across the blue.  "That would be nice," she murmured.

Just then, however, a nearby crackle in the brush behind them startled her, and she leapt to her paws, spinning towards the noise as the large gray male she'd seen the initiates talking to the day before after returning from the attack - the Chief - emerged from the bushes.

The hefty male glanced to her and dipped his head slightly, then turned to Ryyn, a look of what seemed to be apology glinting in his greenish eyes.  "I'm... sorry to interrupt your morning, but... I wanted to ask a very important favor of you, Ryyn," he spoke, his voice deep yet soft.

Oḍeya's POV

Odeya narrowed her eyes ever-so-slightly once more, but nodded.  "I'll give you two hundred heartbeats," she agreed.  "Make it quick."

Flicking her tail at Vasher to follow, she moved off a few winglengths to the edge of the densite clearing, close enough for them to keep an eye on the pair but far enough away to give them a bit of privacy; she doubted Allegro would cooperate if she didn't heed his request.  And surely they couldn't plot anything that would interfere with her own plans; both were clearly unaware of her intentions to keep Nevinost captive, after all.

Nevinost's POV

Nevi was, understatedly, horrified at this development.  She, of course, had not at all expected the Dark-Heart leader to insist on doing the deed immediately - it wasn't anywhere near the breeding season, so why would there be any point?  She had been hoping that, perhaps, they could find a way for Allegro to escape before he'd had to make good on his offer, but if there was a way for it to happen right now...

She stared at him helplessly as the two Dark-Hearts moved a short distance away, very much aware of Roth, still pinned under his paws, letting out a growl of frustration, but not tearing her gaze from her mate.  "Why?" she managed after a moment, her voice soft but with a noticeable edge to it.  "Why did you do that?  You should have just left well enough alone, but now...  you're going to have to..."  She couldn't bring herself to speak the horrible words.

WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by Koilada Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm

{{  ...  }}

----Maligaya----

"You're very welcome." Maligaya wuffed softly, returning his smile with her own. "If you ever want me to catch more birds for you, please ask me, I'd love to."

The she-wolf still did not move from her hear-muzzle-touching place in front of Ayip, instead opting to stretch her hind legs out to the side comfortably, and, after watching the silver male for a few moments more, unfurled a wing and gave it a quick preen.

"Would you come on a walk with me when you're done, Ayip?"

----Allegro----

The bulky wolf gave a curt dip of the head, then strode over to the brown-and-cream female he called his mate. Her brown eyes harpooned into him, and the hurt within them bore into Allegro's flesh and became his own. 

"Because I want - no, need - you to be safe, Nevi." He murmured softly, pressing a foreleg under her chest to raise her closer to him so he could gather her in his paws, looping a carpal around her shoulders and curling his great head behind her neck. "You and our pups - you're everything to me, and I can't bear the thought of you wasting away here, or these awful wolves taking our litter when they're born. If I can save you both from that... It's worth it. I promise, after it's... done, I'll find a way out and come back to you, I promise. Without you here, there's nothing they can do to hold me back. Until then..."

He stopped, shifting his head away from her neck and bringing his lips to her ear. "Mali's around here somewhere, I found her, Nevi, she's alive and she has friends, she'll take care of you until I escape. Listen closely, there's a howl the two of us did as pups, she'll know it when she hears it. Make a short, low howl, then a longer one, higher pitched this time, then another short, low one, make sure you leave a heartbeat's gap between each."

----Ryyn----

Ryyn was about to give Kyynel an affectionate nuzzle, but they were interrupted by their leader, and his blueish companion was on her paws almost instantaneously. Tanking notice of Keinan's tone, the white male gathered that whatever he wanted to ask of him, it was serious, so Ryyn shoved the gleeful childlike part of himsef as he rose to his paws, adopting a more mature persona.

"Ask away." He barked.

Koilada
Koilada
A MAJESTIC FISH
A MAJESTIC FISH

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 pm

(( I spied that second Ryyn... hehe ))

Ayip's POV

Ayip's smile broadened a bit at her offer, his ears flushing a bit further with embarrassment.  "I used to catch them myself - that was one of the few things I could catch - but I'm sure I'm a bit, er, out-of-practice.  ...Maybe we could hunt them together?"  His suggestion was a bit quieter than the rest of his words, and held a hopeful tone.

He watched as she began preening a wing, about to dip his muzzle once more, when she spoke again.  He blinked, then smiled again.  "Yeah, I'd like that," he murmured happily.  "It'd be nice to see a little more of your home, before I have to go back..."  He frowned at that, involuntarily.  The thought of having to return to the caverns after feeling the sun on his back, seeing all the colors and smelling the earth and grass and flowers for the first time in nearly two cycles was... disappointing.  He didn't really want to go back, but the thought of staying for good hadn't really crossed his mind.  He couldn't impose on Maligaya's pack, after all, especially after they'd been so kind in letting him visit.

Wordlessly, he lowered his muzzle once more, getting to work on finishing his meal, albeit with a bit less enthusiasm than before.

Kyynel's POV

Kyynel frowned slightly at the leader-wolf's serious tone, as well as Ryyn's equally serious response.  She couldn't remember ever seeing the white male so... mature?  Was that the right word?  He was usually so lighthearted and almost pup-like...  The bluish she-wolf sat down where she was, listening to what Keinan had to say.

"It's about what happened a quarter moon ago, with Chayton and the Dark-Hearts," the Chief began.  "...Sort of.  It turns out that Maligaya's brother, Allegro, was also on the patrol that confronted her, Ayip, and the initiates.  I - we - want to find out why, if possible, and also see if we can get any more information about why Chayton is with the Dark-Hearts, as well.  We were hoping you might be able to use your power and spy on them."

Kyynel's eyes widened in alarm at this.  They were going to send Ryyn into the territory of those barbarians?!   But they had to know that couldn't turn out well!  Ryyn had never told her of his ability, so she had no idea how that would be of help, but surely it was still too dangerous regardless?

Keinan glanced over to her just then and, apparently noticing her distress, quickly added to Ryyn, "If you're not up for this, I completely understand - we can figure something else out instead.  I just thought I'd ask, just in case."  He looked a bit uncomfortable and perhaps a tad bit guilty, as if he didn't like giving orders or making decisions for others.  Kyynel wondered why.  Wasn't that what leaders were supposed to do?  She didn't much know.  She'd never been an involved member of the pack, after all.

Nevinost's POV

As soon as Allegro stepped off him, Roth leapt to his paws and scurried off closer to the two other Dark-Hearts.  Odeya snarled something at him, and he retreated quickly into the bushes at the edge of the densite.  Nevi was happy to see him go.

She turned her attention back to her mate as he moved closer to her, tensing as he wrapped his paws around her.  "We could have figured something out together - that was the plan all along," she replied, the edge in her voice growing.  "You acted without thinking of the repercussions, Alle.  What happens now if Odeya has your pups?  How are you going to feel about her raising your pups to be as horrid and vicious as she is?  All you've done is give her more power, and that's the last thing she needs."

Nevinost didn't want to be upset with Allegro.  He was her mate, and her best friend, and despite her anger, part of her was grateful for what he'd sacrificed in order to grant her her freedom.  And besides... this could be the last time she ever saw him.  She didn't want her final moments with him to be spent feeling this way about him. But the feelings of betrayal still lingered, unbidden, in her mind, and she couldn't shake them, no matter how hard she tried.

Despite what she was feeling, she listened as Allegro whispered in her ear, her eyes widening at the news that Maligaya - his long-lost sister, whom he'd told her so much about - was alive, after all these moons, and in this very valley, at that.  The news was unbelievable.  Perhaps it was fate, perhaps just luck, but it worked in their favor now.  Maybe, once Nevi was free, they could even help her break Allegro out, as well.

She nodded, her anger with him dissipating for the moment.  "Alright," she whispered back, using his fur to mask the movement of her mouth from the Dark-Hearts.  "I'll find her, don't worry.  I'll find Maligaya."  And together, we'll get you out of this place.  I promise, from the bottom of my heart, we'll get you out.

Odeya padded back over just then, gesturing to a couple of other wolves, who had joined her across the clearing at some point, to follow.  "Alright, time's up," she growled, her pale eyes chips of flint.  She looked to the two wolves she'd gestured to.  "You know the plan.  Take her to the edge of the Evergreens.  She can find her own way from there."  Despite the leader's words, something in those cold yellow eyes made Nevi shiver.

Chayton's POV

Chayton had seen and heard enough.  As the pair of mates said their goodbyes, he turned and slipped away further into the undergrowth, retreating from the densite.  His mind was becoming cluttered with unfamiliar thoughts.  He needed to think.

As he walked swiftly along in no particular direction, he tried to puzzle out some of what he was feeling.  Seeing Allegro with his mate, how dedicated he was to her, how willing to put his own feelings and well-being on the line for her... it stirred up some unwelcome emotions.  The thought of what the cream-colored male had agreed to... it almost made him feel... sick.  But why?  If Allegro fathered a litter with Odeya, the resulting pups would only make the Dark-Hearts stronger.  Why should he care if Allegro's mate wasn't actually going to be set free - if she and Allegro were still going to be slaughtered as soon as her pups were born?  That had been the plan all along, right?  So why was he bothered by the idea now?  He was a Dark-Heart, and anything that benefited them would also benefit him... so why did it make him feel so terrible inside?

The white-based male shook his head, confused and a bit alarmed by the sudden onslaught of emotions crowding his mind.  He couldn't think about it...  He had to do his duty.  It didn't matter what he thought.  ...Oh, but it did.  He could feel something lurking in the back of his mind, something he didn't recognize, something hidden, something long-buried.  It was something he didn't want to remember...  but slowly, surely, it was coming back.

Chayton halted abruptly in his tracks, reaching up and pawing his head and ears, his eyes squeezed shut.  No...  Stop...  Just stop...  I can't...  Please stop!

Last edited by WolfTrek on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by Koilada Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 pm

{{  ...  }}

----Maligaya----

"Of course, I'd be glad to hunt with you; you're quite the pleasant company." The peach female smiled, her ears perking joyously at the thought.

Maligaya waited for him to finish his meal, then rose to her paws, giving her legs a dainty stretch before flagging her tail in a motion for Ayip to follow. She led him through the bushes and trees, pointing out curious landmarks along the way, until they came to the river where, near half a moon earlier, Mali had fought in battle with Chayton. She paused on the shore and glided down to her haunches, taking in the sight of the sun gleaming off the water's surface before turning her head back to her silver friend.

"Ayip, I must confess that I didn't just bring you out to show you around, I had other motives." She barked, her honied voice soft, yet still holding conviction. "I wanted to ask you if you like to stay with myself, and my pack."

She got straight to the point, without any wavering or indecisiveness. There was a short silence, and she used it to gauge his facial expression before speaking again, before he could reply. "I think your quality of life would be much better our here; I shudder to think of you living out your days by your lonsome in a dark, dreary cave. And... I'm aware this is somewhat selfish of me, but I've grown quite fond of your presence, and I would miss you terribly if you returned."

Her ears angled slightly to the side in a semi-bashful manner as she spoke her last sentence. She didn't wish to force him into joining, oh but she'd love to convince him. It'd been a long time since she'd had a friend like Ayip; she was on pleasant terms with the majority of the pack, but Maligaya couldn't really call them 'friends." Even the closer ones were more familiar in nature - Keinan was more like an older brother or an uncle, and Acara and Wanook she dare say were like her own pups, or younger siblings at the least. Then there was poor, unfortunate Fala and Keala, they were the only two she could've actually called friends, but... Well, it's hard to keep friendships going when the other parties no longer exist on the same plane of existence. So... yes, Ayip was the first in a long while, and the young she-wolf hoped dearly that she hadn't misjudged their relationship, and that he felt the same towards her...

----Allegro----

Allegro gave a hum in reply, then gave her a few affectionate licks on the ear before drawing his head down to nuzzle her cheek. He breathed her in, letting the smell of her imprint in his mind, desperate to keep some part of her with him while they were separated. 

"I love you, Nevi." He graveled lowly, staring into her beautiful, brown eyes for a few more moments before Odeya interrupted them and the pale wolf placed her back down.

"No," He barked, turning his gaze to Odeya. "She leaves now, unaccompanied. I don't trust you to keep your end unless I see it with my own eyes."

----Ryyn----

The white wolf nodded along as his leader explained the situation, his brow creasing into a frown as he finished.

So, Maligaya's brother was with the Dark-Hearts? That was curious, and they had a chance to earn about Chayton too... How could he say no to this? The pack had taken Ryyn in when he was a yearling with nowhere else to go; if he could use his power to help them, why shouldn't he?

"I'm honoured that you think I'm good enough to do something so important, Chief; I'd be happy to help." He replied with a nod of his head, a small, more humbled smile spreading on his maw.

Koilada
Koilada
A MAJESTIC FISH
A MAJESTIC FISH

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 pm

(( ... ))

Ayip's POV

Ayip happily followed her along, the thoughts that had saddened him disappearing from his mind for the time being.  He smiled at each landmark that was pointed out to him - after so long seeing only dreary gray stone walls, the entirety of the territory outside was rather daunting; everything sort of looked the same to him, especially given his relatively short range of 'sight', so it was nice to be able to pinpoint certain things that were different.

He slid down onto his belly next to her as they reached the shore of the river, the far bank of which he could just make out near the edge of his power.  Something about this spot seemed familiar, though it was difficult for him to tell.  He gazed out at the water with fascination, watching enchantedly as the light danced on its gleaming surface as it flowed away downstream.

In his distracted state, he barely realized as Maligaya began talking, and had to pull his focus away from the water - which was difficult, considering he could see all the way around himself at all times, and couldn't shut his ability off.  He frowned slightly, turning his face towards her as he listened in an attempt to distract himself from the lake, his eyes widening in shock as she revealed her true intentions for bringing him out here.  He opened his mouth partway, but no words came out.  He was speechless.  She wanted him to stay - for good?  But... why?

Her reasoning became clearer as she continued to speak.  He averted his face once more, instead looking the other way, to his left, his expression uncertain.  "...I... I'm honored that you feel that way..." he finally managed to say, his voice soft.  "You've become my friend, too - the only friend I've ever had..."  He frowned again at that thought.  "But... have you talked to your Chief - Keinan... - about it?  I mean, surely I'm more trouble than I'm worth?  I can't even help hunt, or look out for predators..."

Despite his overall cheerful and optimistic nature, Ayip's self-asteem was quite low.  Since before he could remember, it had been driven into his head that he was nothing but a hindrance because of his assumed handicap, and that he couldn't do the things that other, 'normal' wolves could.  Though he thought, to an extent, that this was a rather silly concept - he'd managed to survive on his own for this long, after all - those notions were always still there, giving him doubts and making him feel self-conscious around others, thinking that they would feel the same way about him as his family always had.  It was still hard to believe that Maligaya's pack was so different from his own in that way.

Keinan's POV

The Chief smiled back as Ryyn agreed to go forward with the plan, his tail lifting slightly.  In addition to being very grateful that the white male was willing to put himself in potential danger to help figure out what was going on, he was also relieved - it had taken them days to figure out how, exactly, to proceed, and Keinan wasn't sure what they would've done if Ryyn had refused.  He certainly didn't want to force anyone to do anything they were uncomfortable with.

"Wonderful," he murmured.  "Thank you, Ryyn.  I really appreciate your help.  ...When would be a good time for you to go?  I don't want to interrupt any plans you may have had..."  He glanced at Kyynel with a slightly apologetic look.

The she-wolf lowered her head and ears, looking up at him, then, after a moment, stood, moving closer to Ryyn.  She looked distressed.  "But... what's your power?" he heard her whisper in the white male's ear.  "How would it help at all?"

Nevinost and Odeya's POV

Nevi stared at him as he pulled back, grief springing to her eyes.  "I love you, too, Alle," she whispered sadly, pushing her nose into his fur, taking in his scent, as well.  She never wanted to forget it.

Odeya scowled at the cream-colored male as he turned to her, her eyes narrowing.  She glared at him for a few moments before flicking an ear.  "Fine," she growled.  She turned to Nevinost, who seemed to be lingering, uncertain.  "Go on, then," she snapped at the other she-wolf.  "You're free - go!"

Nevi glared back at Odeya for a moment, her lip twitching in anger and disgust, before getting to her paws and taking a step back.  She looked back to Allegro, the expression of grief returning to her face.  "...Goodbye," she murmured, her chest tightening, before, after a few more heartwrenching moments, she managed to tear her eyes from him and turn away, trotting heavily to the edge of the clearing and pushing her way through the undergrowth, disappearing from view.

Odeya watched her go with an expression of distain before turning back to Allegro, her sharp eyes relaxing slightly.  "Well then," she began, her voice now light.  "Are you ready?  Come along!"  She turned and began making her way toward the opposite edge of the clearing that Nevinost had exited from.

Nevi, meanwhile, was making a beeline for the stream that cut through the Evergreens.  She was unfamiliar with the territory, save for this small part of the forest, having only been allowed out to get drinks from the stream, but she knew, from the view she and Allegro had gotten when they'd first entered the valley, that the dense pines eventually ended past the stream if one traveled far enough, leading to more sparse woodland beyond.  She also knew, from snippets of conversation she'd caught in the densite, that the Dark-Hearts controlled an area of land somewhere past the Evergreens in the other direction called "the Lowlands", so she figured her best bet for finding Maligaya and her friends was to make her way to that sparser woodland.  A flash of exhilaration overcame her, despite her grief, and she gave a small bounce; she was finally free once again!

WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by GallifreyHanyou Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am

-Sihti's POV-

Sihti had slept deeply through the night, but morning wasn't exactly the she-wolf's favorite time of day. she heard elskan's voice coaxing someone else--probably muri--awake, and let out a soft groan, slowly sitting up and peeling her eyes open, fur ruffled in at least seven distinct directions. "it's so early..." she complained, looking about for Laiko. he was bound to be nearby.

---

-Kalake's POV-

a gentle wet nose was what woke Kalake that morning, along with her mate's voice. she reached blindly and pushed him lightly with a paw, giving him a grumpy but good-natured smack for waking her up. she gave a huge yawn, jaws as wide as they could go and tongue curling up before they snapped shut again as she blinked awake. she stretched her legs out as far as they could go, spreading her webbed toes for a moment before pulling them in. feeling slight squirming next to her belly, she lifted her wing, gazing lovingly at the four little bundles that started to wake as she did, squirming and letting out little noises. it would only be a few days, if it was that long, before their eyes and ears would open. they had grown so fast already.

"how are we going to carry them, Akamai? they're going to squirm too much, don't you think?"
GallifreyHanyou
GallifreyHanyou
LADY IN REEEEEEEED
LADY IN REEEEEEEED

Prey : 805

Back to top Go down

Post by GallifreyHanyou Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:23 am

{oops, forgot one!}

-Mikira's POV-

the white female had slept curled in as tight of a ball as one could manage and started to stir as voices came from various places around camp. her head popped up as the chief walked past her, clearly on some sort of important errand. she shivered slightly...he still looked so much like koloha, her old mate she had for so short a time. and the haunted look in his eyes, when he did accidentally look her way...why? he must have lost someone too. he had called her 'fala' when they first met. Mikira wondered who she had been to him. she wasn't brave enough to ask anyone.

the white She-wolf heaved herself to her feet and swished her tail slightly, wondering if there was any prey already here or if she needed to go hunting for herself. and she was glad that 'seer' or whatever they were had stopped taking such a keen interest in her, insisting she smelled of milk. what nonsense.
GallifreyHanyou
GallifreyHanyou
LADY IN REEEEEEEED
LADY IN REEEEEEEED

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

(( Sihti... xD  Gonna wait for Sou to post for the boys~ ))

Akamai's POV

As Kalake shoved his muzzle lightly with her paw, Akamai gave a soft "Oof!" followed by a small chuckle, his tail beginning to wag.  He waited patiently as she woke more fully, his eyes moving down to the pups curled at her belly as she lifted her wing, his tail wagging a bit harder as, after a moment, he reached down and nuzzled each of them gently with his nose.  This caused the squirming and squeaking to momentarily intensify, and he grinned, amused.

As Kalake posed her question, Akamai turned back to her, blinking.  "Well, we talked about possibly carrying them on our backs and hunching our wings up to help keep them in place, and then just walking the whole way back in case one of them took a tumble, but they are a little bigger now.  Still, I think that's probably the best idea we've got...  What do you think?"  It was a bit of a risk, but he couldn't think of a better option.  The only other one he could think of would be for him and Kalake to each carry one in their mouths and one on their backs, but the air was cold, and the pups' fur was short.  At least if they each took two on their backs they would have each other to snuggle into; hopefully that would keep them warm enough during their trek.

Peyhote's POV

As Mikira stirred, Peyhote, who was already awake and had begun his usual morning feather-preening ritual, noticed the movement and stopped what he was doing to stare at her for a moment, a slight frown coming to his face.  The white she-wolf had been a source of puzzlement to him from the moment she had arrived in the pack's densite about half a moon ago now.  Not only did she bear a striking resemblance to Keinan's deceased mate, Fala, but her tale of the 'sickness' she'd experienced during her cross over the mountains baffled him even more.  The symptoms she'd described still reminded him of the descriptions of labor pains he'd heard, and the fact that he could swear she smelled faintly of milk didn't help the suspicions he held that she had had pups... but even if she had, wouldn't she have known?  Or did she know, and she was hiding the fact from him for some reason?  If so, he couldn't imagine what such a reason could be, and the thought that there could be pups somewhere out there, parentless and alone, was highly unsettling.  Without a doubt, such pups would have certainly perished by now.  The Seer gave a slight, involuntary shiver.

Still, regardless of what had occurred to her in the mountains, he didn't wish to appear rude, and so, after a few heartbeats, he tore his orange gaze away from her pale form, turning his head to resume his preening.

WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by GallifreyHanyou Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm

-Kalake's POV-

the she-wolf nodded, remembering their idea from before. "I guess that's probably the best option...we've got to get back to the pack. it's too cold and harsh up here." she shifted and got to her feet, leaning down to nuzzle the pups as they instantly started to squeak as loudly as they could, immediately missing her warmth. "it's okay little ones, I'm right here. Akamai, do you want to put two of them on me first, and then I can put the others on you?"

-Mikira's POV-

Mikira stretched a bit and got to her feet after a few moments, only to feel eyes on her. by the time she turned around, that seer fellow had gone back to his preening, but she was certain he'd just been staring at her. she padded slowly over, since he was the nearest one and wasn't really doing anything important, to her view.

"is there any prey here? I'm starving," she said by way of greeting, hoping her soft voice was loud enough. she didn't want to speak up, especially to him when he made her rather uncomfortable with his suspicions.
GallifreyHanyou
GallifreyHanyou
LADY IN REEEEEEEED
LADY IN REEEEEEEED

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 am

(( ... ))

Akamai's POV

Akamai nodded in agreement.  "Yeah, it's already really cold up here, but I don't think it's even snowing yet down in the valley - the last time I managed to get a good look, I didn't see any white."  And, though he didn't say so out loud, it would be a huge weight off his shoulders to not have to rely on his hunting skills alone to provide for Kalake and the pups.  They'd been fairly lucky so far, but not every chase resulted in a kill, and with the unpredictable weather beginning to grow even harsher now, he was certain their luck would eventually run out, and he didn't want to think about what that could mean.

As the pups started to squeak, he blinked, only just then realizing that Kalake had gotten to her paws.  He looked to her as she spoke again, and nodded, taking a step forward and reaching into the nest of pine boughs, moss, and feathers and gingerly taking the nearest pup - Kahili - into his jaws, lifting her up once he was sure of his grip around her shoulders and placing her between Kalake's wings, just behind her withers.  Once she was secure, he reached back in for Ari, placing him next to his sister.

"Alright, I think they should be good - now you can put the other two on me," he told his mate, turning to the side so that she could access his back more easily.

Peyhote and Aina's POV

Hearing slow pawsteps approaching, Peyhote's right ear swiveled to the side, a moment later followed by his head as he once again drew back from his wing.  It was Mikira, as he could have guessed, and a brief flash of guilt prickled at him - he hoped she hadn't noticed him staring at her.  Still, he pushed away the feeling and gave her an amicable smile, his thick tail twitching twice in a brief wag of greeting.

"Ah, Mikira, good morning," he welcomed her, his whiskers twitching with amusement at her query.  "I think there's a bit of deer left over from yesterday evening, but I am sure there are others who would greatly appreciate it if you wanted to join a hunting party," he told her, flicking one wing lightly toward the spot at the edge of the trees where the remains of a young buck lay in the shelter of the bushes near the edge of the sleepsite clearing. "Perhaps once you've finished eating, you can find someone who is heading out - a hunting patrol usually goes out around this time."

No sooner had he finished speaking that Aina trotted over, dipping her head respectfully to the Seer and giving Mikira a brief nod of greeting. "Mikira, Mahalo has requested that I take out a hunting patrol. Are you free, by any chance?" the brown she-wolf asked, her nose twitching a few times as the scent of a squirrel drifting down from a nearby tree caught her attention. Otherwise, however, she ignored it - it was hardly the big game they were after.  One squirrel would hardly fill a hungry wolf's belly.

WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by GallifreyHanyou Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:45 am

Kalake

kalake nodded, trying not to squirm a little at the very odd sensation of wriggling and crawling just behind her withers. she was used to it by her belly, but it felt quite odd on her back. she shrugged a little, holding her wings up to keep them from squirming any direction they shouldn't, then reached into the nest, picking up Chirin first (who was currently being the noisiest by far) and placing him on her mate's back.

kalake reached back into the nest and picked up aska, placing her on his back too, then letting out a snort of amusement. "I hope we don't lose her in your fur!" she teased, noting the marked similarity in color between the pup and her sire.

Mikira

she glanced at the deer and her stomach panged. it looked so tempting...but before she could manage even a step toward it, another she-wolf appeared. "oh, yes, I guess I am," she replied with a nod. she knew very few names, since she really wasn't one to go about asking or introducing herself. it had never been necessary before. this was all still so strange, despite being so familiar to her. she turned to the brown wolf and shyly asked, "what's your name?"

(there's no description of aina...I was gonna put something but *shrug* I've got no idea what she looks like)
GallifreyHanyou
GallifreyHanyou
LADY IN REEEEEEEED
LADY IN REEEEEEEED

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:27 pm

(( ... ))

Akamai's POV

Akamai watched in amusement as the very noisy Chirin was picked up and placed atop his back, and hunched his left wing a little to stabilize his adoptive son a bit better.  As Aska, too, was placed behind his withers, he glanced to Kalake before craning his neck to look back at the pups, eying his daughter's bluish-gray fur.  While it was a few shades darker than his own light blue coat, she did blend in quite well.

He gave a snort of amusement to echo his mate's, and nodded a little.  "She does look quite a bit like me, doesn't she?" he murmured with an evident hint of pride.  "Well, here we go, I suppose - let's hope all goes well..."

He gave one last, slightly sad glance at the nest they'd shared for the past moon and a half - the nest their pups had been born in - before shaking his head lightly and turning toward the cave's entrance.  There was a bit of snow piled up in front of it, remaining from the blizzard, and he swept it away with a paw, careful not to dislodge the pups on his back.  Once the exit was clear, he poked his head out, blinking at the dazzling sunlight, and glanced around, nose twitching, to make sure no predators were nearby.  Confident nothing was around, he stepped out fully, gazing up at the sky.  "It feels like forever since I've seen the sun," he commented, squinting at the brightness.

Aina's POV

Aina gave the white she-wolf a small smile.  "My name is Aina," she answered.  "I'm one of the senior subordinates."  Then, realizing the look Mikira had been giving toward the area the leftover kill from the previous evening was located, her ears shifted back slightly in apology.  "Sorry, did I interrupt you when you were getting ready to eat?" she asked with a slight, sheepish laugh.  "If you're hungry, you can go ahead and get a bite to eat before we head out - I need to round up at least one or two more wolves to go with us, anyway."

WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by GallifreyHanyou Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 pm

-Kalake-

the she-wolf gave a mocking laugh at her mate and nuzzled the back of his ear slightly. "since you've seen the sun?" she teased. "I've barely been outside for over a moon, you know." she looked out over the landscape, trying to figure out a shallower path down to the valley once more. they couldn't safely fly with their squirming little bundles of joy on their shoulders, after all. spotting a path that looked rather promising, she stepped forward, being very careful where she put her paws.

as soon as the bright sunlight hit him, Chirin seemed to go from squeaking like his life depended on it to very oddly quiet, and she turned to see the little white pup as flat as he could get on his father's back, apparently sunbathing. she gave another snort of amusement.

-Mikira-

"ohnonotatallit'sokay" she mumbled, quickly slinking off with her fur a little fluffed with embarrassment. it was so strange here, and even if the wolves were nothing but kind, they still made her nervous without even trying. she bent her head, starting to eat as quickly as she could, worried that if she looked like she was taking her time they might leave without her.
GallifreyHanyou
GallifreyHanyou
LADY IN REEEEEEEED
LADY IN REEEEEEEED

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfTrek Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 am

(( ... ))

Akamai's POV

Akamai twitched the ear that was nuzzled, turning after a moment to give his mate an amused smile.  "Yeah, I know - as good as the sun feels to me, it must feel even better to you!" he wuffed in laughter, tail wagging a little.  After a moment, he turned his attention to the surrounding land, as well, keen eyes searching for the shallowest path down the mountainside.  Kalake seemed to find a good option before he did, and, cautious of his steps, he followed her.

At her snort of amusement, however, he paused, looking to her for a moment, then followed her eyes to glance over his shoulder, seeing Chirin spread flat on his belly behind his withers, little wings sticking outward.  Akamai, too, gave an amused huff.  "I guess he really likes the sun," he mused, humor evident in his voice.  "I wonder if that really is how he survived as long as he did on his own - by taking energy from the sunlight?"  He frowned thoughtfully, then shrugged his wings a little and continued to pad onward down the little trail, making sure to take it slowly in case a paw slipped from underneath him.

Aina's POV

Aina watched with amusement as the pale she-wolf scurried away, after a moment turning back to Peyhote and giving him another dip of her head - which he then returned - before heading off to find a couple more wolves to take on the patrol.

A short time later, she trotted back to sit a few winglengths away from where Mikira was eating, Kuren and Laya in tow.  Kuren, too, sat politely to wait for Mikira to finish eating, curling his tail neatly over his paws, while the more nervous-natured Laya remained standing, tail hanging loosely and head lowered so it was even with her back.

WolfTrek
WolfTrek
WHAT IS A STAR TREK
WHAT IS A STAR TREK

Back to top Go down

Post by GallifreyHanyou Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am

(what time should the family get back to the camp? near sunset would be my guess. it only took kalake a few hours of panicked flight to get to the cave in the mountains so going much slower it should only take a whole day?)

-Kalake-

Kalake very carefully made her way down the side of the mountain, wary of each step as the melting snow that littered the ground in patches was quite slippery underpaw. she did slip slightly on a hidden rock at one point, making both pups (and their mother) let out a startled yip of alarm before she found her footing again.

they were getting on towards safer and more level-looking ground when Ari started the "I'm hungry" chirp.

-Mikira-

mikira finished eating quickly, feeling more sets of eyes on her, as before. it was making her jumpy, everyone staring at her all the time. she finally sat up and started licking her muzzle, trying to get the pink staining off as best she could. turning her head, she spotted the three wolves waiting for her already. "oh, sorry!" she squeaked, jumping up and hurrying over. "is it time to go already?"
GallifreyHanyou
GallifreyHanyou
LADY IN REEEEEEEED
LADY IN REEEEEEEED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next